Chapter 23: Caretaker

Gaege's (Juicy's) POV
I had been released from the hospital only a day before and Eddie was already bombarding me with snacks and questions.

"Are you sure you're okay?" and "Wait, wait! Don't stand up, I'll get it for you!"

"Eddie, I told you, I don't need to be spoiled!" I shook my head, seeing him already digging through the fridge, "It doesn't hurt that much-" I let out a groan of pain when I tried standing, feeling the wound in my chest explode with pain again.

"Shit, are you hurt?" Eddie bit his lips nervously. "No, I'm fine," I answered, studying his face, "And what are you so worked up about anyway?"

Eddie shook his head, but I could see his hands shaking. I had never seen him so frantic and stressed out before.

I pressed my lips into a line, still waiting for an answer. "Well?" I leaned back on the couch, "It's not like I'm going anywhere."

Eddie looked back at me, walking over to me with a sigh. He collapsed on the couch, and I raised an eyebrow. "Wow, that's the first time I've seen you sit down ever since you picked me up from the hospital."

He crossed his arms when I said this, not wanting to meet my eyes. Even if it slightly hurt to do so, I reached over and gently brushed away his messy hair with my hand. His eyes met mine with an expression I couldn't read, and I slowly pulled my hand away.

"I'm sorry," Eddie rubbed a hand over his face, "Just seeing you like this, being able to remember how much pain I had felt, it..." His eyes began to tear up, "It hurts. I'm just terrified it might happen again." A knot began to form in my stomach at the memory of the past events, especially the agonizing pain in Eddie's eyes as he held me.

"And I just don't want to lose you again," Eddie's voice shook as he choked back tears, "It was one of the most terrifying moments of my life. And now that you're here, I can't stand the thought of you in pain again."

I met his eyes, feeling my own begin to tear up as I stared at him. "You're not going to lose me again," I grabbed his hand, "I'm okay, you see? I'm alive and well, and as long as I keep getting treatment, I'll be fine." Eddie was silent, looking down at our intertwined fingers.

"What?" I asked him, cocking my head slightly to the side, "I feel like you're holding something back still."

Eddie bit his lip, "About that... I actually need to find a way to pay for your hospital bills." I was quiet for a moment before realizing what he was saying.

"Oh no... I completely forgot about that," I frowned throwing my hands up with a shout, "That's so fucking unfair! It wasn't our fault that we-"

Eddie suddenly pressed his lips to mine unexpectedly, making me freeze. I didn't remember how amazing his lips felt against mine until then.

His hand rested on my thigh gently, lingering for a few seconds before pulling away to see my face. "I'll find a way," He reassured me, pressing his forehead to mine, "You worry about recovering. I'll worry about getting the money." I nodded, leaning in for another gentle, soft kiss again.