Chapter 19: Distractions

Eddie's POV
My thumb tapped nervously against the steering wheel, eyeing the front entrance of the county jail. The last time I was there, I was in handcuffs. I had made a promise to myself to avoid this place and to never come back. Yet here I was, waiting for Mully to give the signal as I waited nervously.

"So you just don't care anymore, do you Eduardo?" I remember my father telling me as he bailed me out of the jail, "After everything your mother and I have done for you, you just decide to get arrested?"

"Everything you've done for me? You kicked me out to the streets all because I didn't want to go to college! And don't get me started about when you gaslighted me for not wanting a girlfriend!" I had shouted furiously at him, "Im not like you Dad! I never was! I'm not your perfect son that you wanted, okay?"

A tear fell down my cheek, but I wiped it away with the back of my hand. I wasn't going to let the past eat at me any longer.

"We're ready," Mully's voice sounded on my phone. "Okay, wait for me where I told you," I answered, taking a deep breath in.

I started up the car, turning on the headlights in the direction of the jail. I set the car on park and tied a brick to the gas pedal. With one more deep breath, I set the car on drive, instantly feeling the car jolt forward.

I leaped out the car before hearing it speed up, the sound of the engine filling the air.

My body crashed into the dirt road, and my arms and legs scraped against the rock as I groaned. I quickly turned around to see the car speeding to the entrance before taking off running.

With the sound of an explosion behind me, I stumbled, thrown back from the loud crash ringing through the air. Smoke bellowed out from the destruction of the car, blooming up into the sky. I stared in shock for a few seconds before hearing guns fire, and I jolted back.

"Eddie!" Josh grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the back doors and out of my trance. "We need to go! Now!"

I follow him through the back doors like we planned, knowing all the attention was now on the recked car. We cautiously enter the empty hallway, careful not to draw any noise or attention to ourselves. I already knew the hallways like the back of my hand. It was something former prisoners like me had acquired.
Mully gestures to go forward, but before I could move, I then heard a soft groan come from one of the cells. I snapped my head towards it, getting ready to fight before I froze.

"E-Eddie...?" Gaege was chained to a chair, and he coughed weakly. There was a large red mark on the side of his head, and I gasped.

"Gaege!" I ran to him as tears swelled in my eyes, "You're alive!" Gaege hesitated as I approached him, and I shook my head. "Look, I know your mad at me," I said sadly, "Please forgive me. I love you so much, Gaege."

He parted his lips in shock, but I still noticed tears falling down his face. "You turned me in..." Gaege mumbled weakly with a silent, fuming glare. "You hid so many things from me. How can I trust you again?"

"Well, I'll start by getting you the hell away from these people," I started to untie his small wrists, feeling him wince when my fingers skimmed over his soft skin. I hesitated when I looked up at him, glancing down at his red lips. I wanted to kiss him, to take out all my frustration and desperation for him to be safe, all in one kiss. He didn't return my stare, however, only avoided my eyes without another response.

"Look, I'll explain everything once we get home," I told him, swallowing the lump forming in my throat, "But right now, we need to get the hell out of here."
He was silent for a few moments before I begged him, "Please, Gaege. I can't let you get hurt again."

Gaege shook his head, "No, I'm not leaving without the other mind readers. I promised them Eddie! I'm not going to turn my back on them."

I looked deeply into his eyes, wishing he would listen. Although I knew he was serious, and I frowned sadly.
"Eddie! They found us!" Narrtor screamed behind us, "We need to leave!"

I looked back at Gaege, who furrowed his eyebrows. "I'm not leaving you alone again," I told him, "Let's do this."