Chapter 16: Escape?

Gaege's (Juicy's) POV
"Look, here's the plan," I glanced over my shoulder, making sure no guards were heading in our direction. "I'm going to sneak out through the back doors by tonight. They usually unload guns and materials through the garage in the back."

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Liv bit her lip nervously. "I don't have a choice," I answered, looking back at the sketch of the map we had on the floor. "They're going to kill us by tonight. I have to try something."

Liv grew silent again, but I could tell she was still unsure about this. If I was being honest, I was too. Although the stakes were too high, and time was running out. It was now or never. Even if it means getting a bullet through my skull.

"Okay, so I have to avoid here and here," I circle two spots on the map, "And the garage is through here." I frowned, knowing this was going to get me killed. I took a deep breath, looking back up at Liv. "And I promise I'll come back for you," I put a hand on her shoulder, saying with a serious expression, "I'm going to get my friends and come back. I promise." Liv nodded, "I trust you." I smiled softly, thankful that she was there with me.

**Time Skip to later that night**

My heart was pounding in my chest as I wandered the cold, dark building. I had memorized every single part of the jail that I could, but it was like an endless maze of corridors and hallways. I didn't know that a jail could be this huge. Who knows what other secrets it was hiding from me?

I quietly walked in the hidden shadows of the night, crouching so approaching guards wouldn't see me. I peeked around the corner, seeing another empty hallway. I took a deep breath, preceding to take a risk and continue.

A turn the hallway, only to be met with a group of guards with their backs towards me. I curse under my breath, quickly running in a different direction. If anyone would catch me, every chance we had at escaping was over.

I stopped to catch my breath, putting my hands on my knees. I wiped the sweat off my forehead, noticing a window leading to the outside. I peeked through it, pressing my hands against the cold glass as I squinted.

My breath caught in my chest as I realized I was near the main entrance. The exit gate was noticeable from here, and I could possibly make it there before sunrise. Although I needed to find a key to open the door in front of me.

Before heading into the main office, I glanced over my shoulder, checking to see if guards were approaching me. No one was at the counter, which luckily, I was able to sneak in.

I froze when I heard someone speaking, ducking behind the counter as footsteps approached. "Fuck," I mumbled to myself, noticing the security office door, "I need to get past these people."

"...By sunrise. That's when the boss said to transport them." A strip of the guard's conversation reached my ears, "You think we can get them all out by then? Before anyone notices?"

"Nah, I reckon they'll be knocked out by the time we get there," The other guard responded, "They're all dangerous after all. We have to be extra cautious if we want them outta here."

I furrowed my eyebrows, realizing they were talking about the mind readers. I needed to find a way out more than ever. Where were they taking us? I didn't have time to find out.

I listened until their footsteps passed, deciding to make my move once they left the office. I quickly rushed to the security office, shutting the door behind me before being met with a desk full of paperwork.

"Hey, did you hear that?" I suddenly heard a voice from outside say, "Sounds like one of the office doors." I scrambled to open one of the desk drawers, desperately searching for a key. My hands were shaking, and I gulped down a lump in my throat as the footsteps grew closer.

I suddenly spotted a key hanging from a chain on the wall, and I raced to grab it. I hid under the desk as the door began to open, holding my breath as it grew silent for a moment.

"I think I'm just hearing things..." I heard the guard say as they turned off the light, "Maybe it came from outside."

"Man, you're crazy," The other guard answered as they began to walk off, "I can't handle your shit sometimes..."

I let out a deep breath I didn't know I was holding, feeling my shoulders relax. My heart was still soaring as I shoved the key in my pocket, hurrying back to the main entrance.

I fished for the key and shoved it into the keyhole, rushing to open it before anyone saw me. I glanced back up at the exit gate in front of me as the door opened, feeling a soft breeze blow my hair back. I smiled to myself, feeling free from the locked cage as I took a step forward.

A sharp pain suddenly formed on the side of my head as I screamed, feeling a hard object collide with my head. I fell to the ground with a groan, causing my vision to grow blurry and dark.

"He's coming with us," A blurry figure said behind me, "We're not letting him off the hook that easily."