72

Rick and Isabella decided to keep the pregnancy on the down low for now. They didn't know how or when to tell Carl, so they'd wait a few days to compose themselves and then they would.

They hated not telling him right away, but they themselves were reeling from the fact that they would be bringing a child into this world. They needed some time to clear their minds.

It was a number of days after their reconciliation, and Isabella swore she was closer than ever to finishing the cure. She was positive she'd finish no later than tomorrow. She'd worked endlessly the past few nights before, she didn't get back home until well past midnight, but she couldn't stop when she was so close to her goal.

She didn't tell anyone yet, she didn't need to get people's hopes up for nothing.

Rick went off to help the Alexandrians again and Isabella went back to the lab.

Today she put on the limited Queen albums she had collected.

She was singing along to Another One Bites the Dust when she heard someone call her name from behind her.

It was Carl.

"Oh hey kid," she smiled, not being able to go hug him. "Sorry, I'd go over to you but I can't mess this procedure up."

"It's okay," he shrugged. "I just wanted to visit."

He walked around the lab, looking at the endless samples of things in beakers with letters he had no understanding of.

"This all makes my brain hurt," Carl joked.

"Mine too kid," Isabella laughed, still focused on her task. "So uh, what brings you by?"

"Well someone promised me they'd make me those glow in the dark stickers, and that's what I'm here for," Carl responded.

"Now? Carl, I'm kinda busy trying to save the world," she smiled.

"I know, I know," he nodded. "Why don't you talk me through it then? We can chat while I do the project and you find the cure."

"I-" She turned, finally looking at him. "Fine."

She talked him through grabbing the needed materials, and Carl was surprisingly good at finding the right stuff. To be fair though, the procedure was super simple and they could've even done it at the house.

"Damn, so even with that pirate eye, you're still an excellent shot and excellent at listening to directions," she joked, focused once more at her task.

She was closer than ever, she knew she'd possibly be done by that night, and she was simply testing the samples on tissues.

"I learn from the best," Carl shrugged, and set up the materials.

"Okay, guide me through the process mom," Carl said and Isabella glanced at him.

"Okay, so just cut the paper into star shapes first."

"Done," he said after some minutes.

"Now you grab some of that paint; acrylic is typically used but you know, can't exactly go to a store for it. Anyways, mix some of that with the glow in the dark powder," she instructed.

"Wait, so you actually use the powder in your experiments?" Carl asked as he mixed.

"Not really, only occasionally, as an alternate form of staining whatever samples," she shrugged.

"Staining?" He asked, not being able to follow.

"Just lab crap, don't worry about it," Isabella laughed.