59

The next morning, Isabella was the first to wake and made Maggie breakfast.

"As much as I would love to get spoiled by you, you have a husband to talk to, you should go. I'll be okay," Maggie said and Isabella nodded.

She hurried outside the house and down the street.

"Isabella!"

She turned to spot Rick rushing to her from the other end of the street.

"Rick," she breathed out as he brought her in a hug.

"When you didn't come home I got worried. I thought I messed things up for us," he breathed out as he pushed himself back.

"I'm sorry I didn't go home, I was with Maggie. She wasn't taking care of herself so I made sure she ate and slept," she explained. "I wanted to tell you but I didn't want to leave her, she needed someone to talk to. I wanted to go back to you but I knew you could deal with one night away from me."

"It's okay, it's okay I understand," he nodded. "Look, about yesterday I'm sorry."

"No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have stormed off like that, I don't agree with your plan but I could've handled it better."

"Maybe, but so could I. I'm sorry," he said.

"There you are!" Carl said as he walked up pushing Judith in her stroller.

"I was just gone the night," Isabella laughed as he came to a stop in front of them.

"We still missed you," Carl smiled.

"What're the plans for today?"

"I'm going to help with the walls," Rick told Isabella.

"Who knows," Carl shrugged.

"I'll see you later then, I need to go home and shower," she told Rick and said bye to him as she began pushing Judith home with Carl next to her.

"You really make dad happy," Carl said after a moment and Isabella smiled.

"Well he makes me happy too, but I think I like y'all more, just don't tell him that."

"Deal, only because you haven't told him about Ron," he laughed before falling serious. "The reason Ron and I fought was because he talked about mom."

"Are you okay? Listen Carl, I know how much that must've been, all those months ago and you've had time to heal but no one would blame you if you weren't fully healed yet. " Isabella stopped pushing Judith, looking at him with concern. As much as she disliked Lori, it hurt her seeing Carl more and she would do her best to relieve that pain.

"I am, and I wouldn't be lying if I think about her often but I'm better now. it took me a while, but I really am glad you and dad got together," he said. "I'm glad you stayed."

"So don't tell your father this, but I only stayed because of you," she smiled and he laughed.

"Oh, I'm definitely going to use that as ammo now."

"You know Lori would be proud of you right?" Isabella asked.

"I do, I just hope I can continue to make both her and you proud," Carl said.

"You could never disappoint me," Isabella said and brought him for a hug. She felt his long hair and chuckled.

"Oh, you know I keep forgetting but we need to cut that hair of yours."

"Not in a million years," he scoffed.

"Carl, I'm all for the emo phase but the hair is just too long now," Isabella told him as they got to the house.