19. Open and Wild

♪तू आके देख ले,
मैंने रातें कितनी सारी,
तेरी यादों में गुजारी सोहनिए।।♪

Sirisha

My exam went amazing. I literally knew every answer.

Now, all I'm worried about is what to wear for the evening party. Seniors long for me in the party, I had always been the favourite junior to my seniors.

It's my last meeting with them and I have to go, but, I seriously don't have anything to wear. I guess I have no other option except to wear my mom's saree.

"Mom! I'm back." I yell removing my shoes, then my bag off my shoulder throwing it on the sofa. "Mom, I want your help. As you know there's a party in the evening and the theme is saree, I want to borrow one of yours." I yell walking to the kitchen to find her.

"Go up and look what you like from my wardrobe." She says from in the kitchen.

I enter the kitchen and freeze for a moment as I look at Mom from top to bottom.

Her one leg is on the kitchen island and the other is on the ground supporting her to stand. Her face has a yellow-coloured turmeric homemade face mask.

I burst laughing, bending down as I grip my stomach tightly. She looks so funny, that I feel my eyes moisten from the laughing. I just can't stop.

"Mummy ye kya kar rahi ho aap? Aise joker bani kyu ghum rahi ho." I try to speak sucking in small breaths between my heavy laughs.

(Mom what are you doing? Why are you walking around looking like a joker.)

"Tum batao tum ye kya kar rahi ho." She asks as she removes her leg off the table and stands straight. "Why are you laughing like that?" She asks.

(You tell me, what are you doing?)

"You look so funny. What exactly are you trying to do?" I ask.

"Stretching. I realised that I haven't been taking good care of myself nowadays. So, I decided to groom myself up, today." She says flattered.

"Okay, okay. You go on with your grooming I'm going to look through your wardrobe." I say turning around and walking out.

"Just don't make a mess of my well-kept wardrobe!" She yells from behind and I show her a thumbs up.

I enter her room closing the door behind me, and run to the wardrobe to open it. I had always loved the dresses mom wore, might be it a saree or a kurti. But I never wore one cause I was too small for it.

But I can wear it now!

Yay!

I look through the sarees stacked one above the other, nicely.

Yellow,

Baby Pink,

Dark Blue,

Wine Green?

I press my palm on the sarees above it so that they remain in their places then pull the green one.

I open its folding and a blouse falls down from between its folds. The blouse is of golden colour with beautiful mirror work on it. I pick it up and turn it the other way to see its back design. It's....

Backless?

Should I wear it?

I throw the saree and blouse on the bed and look for some other option, but no other colour fits me.