15. You Look Like A Tomato

♪तेरे साथ में हो सुबह,
तू ही सबसे पहले हो हां।
रातों में बातें तेरी,
ना नींद को दे जगह।।♪

Sunday (Engagement Day),

Kunal

I knock on Sirisha's door and wait for a response. You all must be thinking, what am I doing here?

Not to apologise. But I want to, of course.

Yesterday my mom commanded me and convinced Sirisha to go and buy Harika Bhabhi's ring from the jewellery shop. So, here I am waiting for her at her doorstep.

The door opens up and it's Sameer in front of me. Sirisha's brother. He's good. I don't really like kids but still, there's something in him that makes me like him.

"Hi, Kunal bhaiya!" He almost yells from excitement.

"Hey, Sam! What's up, bro?" I say waving at him.

"I'm good. I've ranked up in Valorant. Platinum 3." He mentions proudly.

Now, that's the thing that makes me like him. His gaming skills are great. He is a good learner.

"That's great it was just a two-and-a-half month thing for you." I pat his shoulder. "Where's your sister, by the way?" I ask.

"My sister?" He asks confused tilting his head and I nod. "She's in the kitchen. Baking."

"Sam! The cookies are done. You can have them now." Sirisha's voice comes from behind Sam.

We both look at her. Her hair is clawed up in a bun, a few strands loosely hanging by the sides of her temple and her face is a mess. There's chocolate and flour on her cheeks and forehead mixed with a little sweat. She's wearing a peach coloured apron which is mostly white because of the flour too.

She panics looking at me and turns her gaze at the clock hanging on the wall.

She didn't keep a record of time.

She quickly takes out a mini packet of wet wipes from her pocket and wipes her whole face and then her hands. She takes off her apron and brushes off her kurti. Then, finally, she unclasps her hair and let it fall freely.

"I'm sorry. I lost track of time." She says picking up her sling purse from the sofa and rushing to us at the door.

She changed from all messed up to all dressed up too quickly for me to accommodate.

She looks soo..... Pretty.

Even when she was covered in the flour.

I don't know why I am suddenly feeling hot and the tip of my ears feel cold. My lips are parted seeking for breaths. She stops in front of me and I gulp feeling my Adam's apple bob.

"It's okay. Let's go." I say.

"Kunal? Won't you try Sirisha's cookies? Believe me, they are the best." Sam assures showing thumbs up from both his hands.

"Some other day, we're late today. Or maybe you can bring some for me in the evening?" I suggest and he nods excited.

"We should leave." Sirisha says coldly.

I step aside giving her way and lean my arm forward in the direction of the door directing her to go first. She walks ahead and I follow behind her, giving a last wave to Sam and then stuffing my hands in my pockets.

"We are walking today too?" Sirisha asks.

"No! Not really. That's our ride." I say pointing at the car. "Dad allowed me as we can't risk losing the ring."