Chapter One: My Decision

My name is Beatrice Prior. I am sixteen years old. Today is the day that I choose what faction to be apart of. Normally the aptitude test which I took yesterday tells you which faction to choose. But in my case, the aptitude test didn't give me a solid answer. My test results were inconclusive. Which means that I got more than one faction. In my case I got 3 factions. Abnegation the selfless people, Erudite the smart people, and Dauntless the brave people. Today I will be choosing one of these factions that I got. I refuse to join Erudite after everything that I've heard about them. So that narrows it down to 2 factions Abnegation or Dauntless.

+++

My parents and my brother and I, are on our way to the Choosing Ceremony. On our way their it is completely silent between the four of us. Once we reach the Hub, this is where we will choose a faction and leave our families behind. We all get to our sections of the room. There are five sections, one for all five of the factions. Abnegation,Amity,Candor,Dauntless, and Erudite. We obviously sit in the Abnegation section, with our plain grey clothes. Once every one is seated the ceremony begins. Our city's leader Marcus, begins to call off every sixteen year old's name. The next thing I know he calls off my brothers name.

"Caleb Prior." Says Marcus. Caleb stands up hugs my mother and I. Then shakes our fathers hand. My father says "See you soon." Does my father really believe that Caleb's going to choose Abnegation. Obviously he hasn't seen the stacks upon stacks of books in Caleb's room. As Caleb walks up to the 5 bowls. I see him glance over towards Erudite. That is when I realize that he really is going to choose them. Marcus hands Caleb the knife and slices into the palm of his hand. Then the blood drips into the Erudite bowl of water. I glance over at my father, and he looks beyond furious with Caleb. Then I look at my mother, she looks completely calm as can be. After Caleb it's me.

Marcus says "Everybody quite down please, so we can continue with the ceremony. Okay up next is Beatrice Prior." I stand up hug my mother and father. At this point I have to choose Abnegation. I cant leave them like Caleb did. I walk up there grab the knife from Marcus and slice into my palm. As I'm staring at the Abnegation bowl. I come to realize that this isn't the right place for me. I quickly move my hand over the Dauntless bowl and my blood drips into the bowl. "Dauntless" shouts Marcus. I walk towards the Dauntless section and sit down.

After the rest of the names are called. It is time to head to our new faction. In order for the Dauntless to get to there compound. We have to jump on a moving train. Which I've watched them do for years. So I know the gist of how to do it. I see the train in the distance and start to jog, then once it gets closer I start to run. I reach out to grab the handle and jump. Once I'm on the train, I help this Candor transfer on.
"My names Christina. Whats yours." She asks me. "Beatrice. Nice to meet you." I respond with."Where do you think we're going?"I ask here. She says "I'm not exactly sure. Its like they just popped out of a hole in the ground."I give a half scared half excited look.