12

—

HAYWIRE
Pronounced (Hay-Wire)
Adjective
Erratic; out of control

ODIN KINGS POV

She didn't have the reaction I was expecting her to have. I thought she would be happy hearing about her father. But instead she's crying, pulling her hair, and muttering incoherent things under her breath.

She's having another breakdown.

"Shit" I mummer getting up from my seat.

"What's wrong?" I ask her as gently as I could. I kneel before her grabbing her hands so she'll stop hurting herself, but she pushes me away. Which is surprising if you think about the condition her body is in. I try to reach out to her again but she just clutches onto her hair and pulls hard. Real hard. I let out a ragid sigh. She's been through so much already. No one knows when she's going to break, but I have a feeling it's soon.

Real soon

"You're hurting yourself" I state the obvious. Lumi is now hitting her head repeatedly, begging for something to stop.

"Please" she cries going to hit herself again but I intercept and grab both of her hands. I yank her forward so that she is on the edge of the chair and now facing me instead of her lap. "Make them stop" her voice cracks. The pain very evident in it. "Please" she cries.

I pull her into my chest and wrap my arms around her small frame. I gently stroke her hair hoping it'll calm her down. "What do you want to stop?" I ask hoping for more information. But what she said next left speechless.

"The voices"

I wish I could help her. Really. But there is only so much I can do. I can help her heal physically, but no one other than herself can fight the mental battle going on in her head. That is the hardest battle for anyone to fight.

Still not calming down, I decide to distract her. "Juno. That is a lovely name." I pull her closer so that she is basically laying on me as I rock back and fourth while rubbing circles on her back.

"How did you come up with it?"

She hiccups a few times. Her breathing getting more even, but the tears don't stop. "I-I heard it a-at school, before I was t-tak-en."

"Did you know Juno was a Roman God(ess) and the protector and special counsellor of the state."

"No"

"I can teach you all about it if you want. It's really fascinating, Gods and Goddess are all fun to learn about." I look down and notice that she is fast asleep. Her crying must've tired her out. I gently scoop her up and walk to the sofa that's in the corner of my office. I lay her down and grab a throw blanket from one of the cabinets and place it on her so she doesn't get cold.