Chapter 31: Golden

Onika Maraj.
6 Apr 2018

4:22pm

"Ouch! That hurts mommy!" Maya whined.

"If you'll just quit moving and keep still." I gritted through my teeth. "I'm almost done."

I struggled to finish the last three braids since Ms honeycomb wouldn't sit down. Mya constantly wobbled in between my legs and messed with her hair.

She reached her hand up to feel her hair for the fifth time and I popped her with my comb. She let out a loud cry that irked the hella out of me.

"Mya."

"I don't want my hair done no more!" She pouted, crossing her little arms over her chest.

"Well that's too darn bad girly."

She huffed and curled her lips, moving her body side-to-side as if she had the right to have an attitude. All I could do is laugh at her dramatics.

"I tell you what if you don't lose the attitude, all of your lil toys are going into the chest box."

Mya uncrossed her arms quickly and allowed me to finish her hair without any slip-ups. I braided her hair into curly twists then wrapped it nicely.

"All done."

Mya held out her hand for my phone. I playfully rolled my eyes, clicking on the camera icon, and gave it to her so she can see the new style.

"Ooh Mommy, I look pretty?" She cheesed.

"You're always pretty." I complimented, kissing her cheek, and rubbing her arms. "Now go find your shoes and clean up that mess you made in the room."

"Okay."

I grabbed my phone while watching her run into the room, almost tripping over her toys. I shook my head, chuckling, and stretching my arms out.

"That girl a trip."

"I keep tryna to tell you that you're better off doing lil brat hair when she's sleep." Charles commented.

"So then she could wake up grumpy and I got to deal with her whining all day?" I retorted.

"What you think she doing now?"

I sucked my teeth, walking into the kitchen, and snatched a pop out of the fridge. Charles finished stuffing his face with leftover catfish and fries.

"I-I'm just saying the only time Mya was ever content was when your Queen-"

"Hush. We're not speaking on that." I warned.

"Hm. At some point you're going have to get over that hump."

"Well today not the day." I replied. "Besides, there no need to focus on any old news when there's plenty of good news to celebrate. One involving a fione ass specimen that will be taking me out for dinner later on."

"Rebound." He coughed.

"He's not a rebound. Quit."