Chapter 42

I wake up before the rest of the squad and peel myself off Caspian. Katniss and Pollux are awake, shutting off the Holo and starting to rouse the others. A look to my other side and I see that Finnick's eyes are open. I think of the conversation I overheard last night and shuffle closer to him.

"Hey, Finn," I say quietly.

He glances my way. "Hey, Sapph."

"I was wondering..."

"Well, that's a first," he says with a smirk. I pinch his side hard and he raises his hands in surrender. "Go on, then. What were you wondering?"

"It's hard enough for Cas and I to leave the others behind, but at least we're together. And don't get me wrong, I'm not completely annoyed that you're here too... but why leave Annie? You could've stayed in Thirteen and no one would have blamed you."

"You don't think wanting to be with my two best friends is a good enough reason?" says Finnick with pretend offence. I give him a look, and he gives in. "I know I haven't had the passion for the revolution that Caspian has, but I do care. And I want us to live in a world that I've fought for and built, not just inherited. I'm just sick of always being given situations and never having control over them. I want some control. I know Katniss can help with that. I just want to make the world better."

I smile. "We're going to make the world better," I promise.

"You can try to follow my lead," he says cockily and I pinch him again.

"Sapph, what about you?" he asks, more seriously. "It would've been completely understandable for you to stay in Thirteen. I kind of hoped you would, safe, you and Annie taking care of each other."

I hesitate for a split second, but if I told Jackson, I can definitely tell my best friend. "Johanna asked me to kill Barrere. Did she... did Annie..."

Finnick's face looks grave as he nods. "She told me about him. So you're on an illegal assassination mission, like Katniss. But for Jo and Annie and Peeta. And yourself." How easily Finnick understands me. I nod. "I'll come with you," he says in a dangerous tone. "Wouldn't mind meeting the monster." For a second, we're quiet, both imagining what kind of revenge we might inflict. Then Finnick's voice gets light again. "Besides, you'll need someone to show you how to work a gun, newbie. You had, what, three weeks of training?"

"And yet here we are in the same squad," I retort. He's about to answer when Katniss hushes the group.

"Katniss," a distant voice hisses. We all freeze. "Katniss," it says again, but this time much closer. Katniss points her arrow at Peeta's head at the same time I put the pieces together. My heart seems to lurch out of my chest to reach him, but I resist the urge to jump in. I know that if he goes insane in this small room with something hunting us, I can't save him. Instead, I close my eyes. I feel Caspian grab my hand.

"Katniss!" comes Peeta's shout and I tense. But there's no sound of the arrow being released, no sound of it hitting its target. Tentatively, I open my eyes. Peeta's eyes are wild, but with alarm, not madness. "Katniss! Get out of here!"

"Why?" she asks. "What's making that sound?"

"I don't know. Only that it has to kill you. Run! Get out! Go!" he cries.

Katniss lowers her bow and turns to look at the rest of us. We're all on our feet now, ready for her instructions. "It's after me. It might be a good time to split up."

"But we're your guard," says Jackson.

"And your crew," adds Cressida.

"I'm not leaving you," Gale concludes. None of us are. We distribute the weapons quickly, so that most of us have a gun, and I also have my knives, Finnick his trident, Caspian his spear. Katniss and Gale keep only their bows.