30.

𝐻𝑒𝓇𝓈 ˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

I open my eyes and immediately feel my head pounding. There was a machine that was beeping loudly near me. I groan.

Was I at the hospital?

What had even happened?

The images flash through my head. That's right, I had gotten into an accident.

How long had I been unconscious for?

The door bursts open and a few nurses rush in followed by my mom.

They rush around, connecting different wires to machines. I close my eyes and block out the noise.

Everything was so loud.

I feel my mom clutching my hand and I immediately feel the restlessness in my heart go away. My eyes flutter open. "Thank الله you woke up. It's been 2 weeks and I was so worried."

"I'm fine mom. Slight headache, but I'm fine." I reassure her as best as I can, and I wasn't lying. I did feel fine albeit a little bit of pain.

The nurses explain my situation to me—which wasn't as bad as it seemed. At least to me. My leg would be in a cast for a few weeks and I would have to go to a bunch of checkups, but other than that I was fine. It could have been worse.

My mom helps me brush my teeth and leaves me alone to shower. My leg felt like it was on fire so I didn't stay in long, but at least I felt refreshed.

Knowing me, my mom had gotten a change of clothes so I wouldn't have to wear the ones the hospital supplied. I had remarked more than once about how horrid they looked.

My dad and brother come in a little while later and they both dote over me for a while before I'm left alone again with the nurses.

I felt tired even though I had allegedly slept for 2 weeks.

Putting my hands together, I make dua and thank Allah ﷻ.

An hour passes as I make dhikr with a tasbeeh my mom had left behind when my dad comes in. "Someone is here to see you."

"Who?" I was probably in no condition for anyone to see me.

"Omar," his face doesn't show any emotions but I could tell he defiantly knew something.

"Um—give me a moment to put on a hijab," I tell him.

He nods and closes the door.

I hadn't expected him to see me this soon.

My face looked like it hadn't seen the light of day in a while—probably because it hadn't. I sigh as I wrap the jersey hijab my mom had brought around my head.

"You can come in," I holler. A few seconds later, my dad comes in followed by my Omar.

He looked like he hadn't slept in days. His eye bags mirrored mine and his hair looked disheveled. He had on a plain black tshirt and black cargos.

"I got food," he smiles as he lifts a bag up in his hand. The corners of his eyes crinkle and I realize just how much I missed his smile.

"Thank you," I say as he puts it on the table near the bed.

"Are you doing okay?" His face is full of concern and as soon as I assure him I feel fine I can visibly see the relieve. "That's great."

"It is," I say and we both returned to silence. "Sorry. My brain feels a little bit foggy at the moment."

"It's ok. Um," he turns around to look at my dad who's sitting in a lounge chair. He nods and Omar looks back to me. "I have something important to say. If you want I can wait until you feel better or—"

"Now is fine," I answer curiously.

"Well, to start off I just wanted to say that I'm sorry it took this long to realise." Both of his hands clamp together behind his back. His face contoured to show an anger in him I had never seen. It was mixed with sadness and self-pity. "I think it's true what they say. You'll never realize how precious something is to you until you lose it."

He looked at my leg which was in a caste and sighs. "I thought I was going to lose you. And I don't know why it took this severity of a situation."

"It's okay Omar." He was angry because of his inability to understand how 'special' I was? "I think we all would be like that in a situation like this."

He shakes his head from side to side. "You already hold a very special place in my heart and.."

He falters for a moment before my father talks. "Go on boy. Don't stop now."

Omar takes a deep breath and starts talking again. "You hold a very special place in my heart and I want to ask if you would do me the honor of accepting to marry me."

I blink twice before the words fully register into my head. He was proposing.

It was happening. Now.

My world crashes down and my head start spinning.

A single tear drop forms and drops, my mouth forming to say the word 'yes.'

--------------------------------

To all of you asking "was the crash nessesary" yes it was. she's alive and well. How else would Omar realize how important Cyra truly is to him. Mandem was debating on wether to choose his dad or her .

word count: 862

Date Posted: 02/28/2022