02.

𝐻𝑒𝓇𝓈 ˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

I stare up at the grey sky as I cross the street, praying it wouldn't rain.

Why exactly had I decided to park my car this far from my house?

I tried my hardest to not get wet, as I walked around puddles that littered the sideway. I had chosen to wear a simple slip on white abaya with a black floor length knitted cardigan and a black hijab.

However, I was now regretting my choice. What if the white would get dirty?

Hurriedly, I rushed into my car, placing my black handbag into the passenger's seat.

As soon as I closed the door, the rain started.

"Allah, thank you for sparing me," I murmured as I started the engine to my car.

I made it to the school just in time for the opening day ceremony. The chancellor was finishing his speech as I entered the auditorium.

From here I could see everyone, so I scanned the auditorium until my eyes laid on someone I knew. I had talked to her a few times at the Masjid before, so I already knew she was trying her best deen wise. To prove my point she had opted to wear an abaya just as I had.

I waited until the chancellor was done with his speech and then made my way over to her.

"Ilaria," I called.

She turns her head and smiles when she sees me, waving her hand for me to sit in the empty seat next to her.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming here?" she asks.

"If I had known you were attending, I would have," I responded.

"Well we know now. What degree are you taking," she asks.

"Theology, of course with an extra emphasis on Islam."

"Me too," she says. "What a coincidence."

"You don't understand French either?" I ask.

"Nope, I moved to France 2 years ago so I can understand a little. But, for school I thought it would be best to take an English-taught degree," she says. "You?"

"I moved here a few moths ago because my dad wanted to open up a business here."

"So you're new to all this?" she says waving her hand around us.

"Yup," I say.

"I would have never guessed. You fit in like a local," I don't know if she was being sarcastic but I brushed it off.

"The whole thing of having a big Muslim community here definitely helped with that," I respond with a smile.

"You didn't have that where you were before?"

"Nope. I lived in the states for 4 years before coming here. The area I lived in had absolutely no muslims so it was a pretty bad experience."

"So what explains the British accent?" she questions.

"I grew up in England so it sort of just rubbed off on me I guess."

"Ooo, we have a little Miss. International here," she says and we both laugh.

"I have a class starting soon, so just in case we don't see each other again today do you want to go to the halaqa at the Masjid tonight?" I ask before my mind decides to bail out.

"Of course," she responds and gives me her phone so we can exchange numbers.

And with that, we say our Salams and walk our separate ways.

I had overcome my social anxiety and made a friend. And now, I had something to look forward to. With that, I started my day which, unironically went by uneventfully until...

--------------------------------

your second reminder to PRESS THE STAR BUTTONNNN

one of the many internal problems that Cyra has been struggling with is friendship so this development is a really big thing in her life :)

word count: 527

Date Posted: 02/11/2022