State of Love and Trust

"I think we've almost got the tumor out

"I think we've almost got the tumor out." Dr.Bailey tells Solace, glancing up at the girl, "At this rate we'll be finished early."

"Great." Solace nods, "So we'll see the end of Chief Shepherds speech."

The monitors start going off, causing the younger doctor to look over at them, "She's Tachycardic."

"I don't understand what happened." The anesthesiologist, Ben, says. "Everything appears to be in order here."

"There's— There's no bleeders. I don't see any bleeders." Bailey looks around the patients abdomen. "Okay, I-I don't see a-a reason why down here, so why is her heart rate going through the roof?"

"Did you check her anastomosis?" Solace asks.

"Her anastomosis is intact." Bailey starts to panic a little, "Everything's intact." She goes to check everything again when she stops, holding up her hands, "What is— wait, wait, wait. Did I just feel movement?"

Solace doesn't know what to do, looking down at the patients face, eyes widening, "She's awake, Dr.Bailey. The patient's awake."

"What, the hell, did you do?" Dr.Bailey turns to the anesthesiologist. "What the heck did you do? Get her back to sleep right now."

Solace looks at the patient, who is rightfully freaking out, "Okay, I know you're scared right now, but it's gonna be okay. Everything is going to be okay."

"Just try to breathe." Ben tells her. "Pushing 150 of Propofol."

***

An hour after the surgery ended, Solace follows Derek, Bailey, and Dr.Warren into the patients room, everyone hoping she doesn't remember waking up in the middle of surgery.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wilson," Derek greets, "We're here to update you on the surgery."

"We completed your tumor resection. I was able to resect the entire thing off of your abdominal wall." Bailey tells her, "Which is a good thing."

"Things went very well." Derek agrees.

The patient looks over, "Really? How about the part where I woke up on the table? How well did that part go? Where I could smell my own burning flesh—How was that?"

Solace, along with the rest of the doctors, are stunned, nobody knowing what to do, what to say.

"When I was lying there... unable to speak, while I could actually feel you butchering my insides? I couldn't move. I was awake and I couldn't move, and you had no idea. How well did that part go?"

***

"She was awake Alex. She woke up in the middle of surgery! I'm going to lose my job. She's going to sue the hospital and then I'm going to lose my job." Solace freaks out to Alex as he's working in the skills lab.