Chapter 38 - Army of Monsters VS Percabeth - Who wins ?

The week dragged on what seemed like forever so it was a relief to wake up on a Saturday morning and not have to go to school. Without the imminent need to get up and be productive, Percy and Annabeth spent a few lazy hours cuddled up in bed, talking about their week.

It had been rather exhausting as so many people kept trying to come up to Percy or Annabeth and say that they might want to reconsider getting engaged so young. The couple appreciated that they thought they were doing what was best but gods, why couldn't anybody stay out of their business?

They laughed about it now, in the warmness of the duvet cocoon they had created, but eventually they got up and went downstairs to eat.

Sally, having sensed that they had had a difficult school week, had decided to make them blue chocolate chip pancakes. Percy was over the moon and - as predicted - drowned his pancakes in syrup until Sally had to confiscate the syrup bottle from him.

Annabeth looked slightly nauseous as she watched Percy shovel down his pancakes and resigned herself to the fact that any kisses for the rest of the day would taste of pure sugar. (It definitely could be worse, but she wasn't looking forward to it).

Once they finished breakfast they decided to head back upstairs to make a start on some homework. (If you're surprised by their productivity, it's because Sally found a particularly good incentive for them to do their homework. She'll only bake blue cookies if she gets proof that two pieces of homework each have been completed. Needless to say, it is very effective.)

A few hours later the couple re-emerged, showing proof of their homework to Sally. Annabeth then helped her bake a batch of cookies and make some more dough for next time; Percy was only allowed to add the food colouring and chocolate chips, Annabeth and Sally learned this through painful trial and error.

The couple then migrated to the living room and waited on the couch for lunch to be ready. Paul had come in and shooed the three of them out so he could cook, so Sally had returned to her computer and resumed work on her new book.

They decided to watch a movie while they waited, and Percy hadn't even needed to ask Annabeth when she turned on Moana. She smiled knowingly at him and he gave her a sheepish smile in return, then they both turned their attention to the TV.

They managed to get through half the movie before Paul called them to tell them that lunch was ready to be eaten. The family was finishing up, placing dishes into the sink to clean when Sally's phone began to ring.

She went to pick it and started slightly, drawing the attention of the other three in the room. She held the phone out so they could see the caller ID flashing, showing it to be Chiron who was calling her.

Everyone looked at each other in alarm, the only reason Chiron had ever called Sally was to tell her Percy was in trouble, so they were reasonably nervous as to what he had to say.

Sally picked up the phone and put it on speaker, "Hello, Chiron, how have you been?" She asked warmly, the clenching of her hands in a dish towel the only sign of her anxiety.

"Hello, Ms Jackson-Blofis, I'm great, thank you. And you?" Chiron replied, his voice slightly grainy emerging from the phone's speakers.

"Please, call me Sally, dear. I'm quite alright, thank you. Is there something I can do for you?" Sally asked politely, looking around the room as if to make sure Percy was actually with her.

"I was just wondering if Percy or Annabeth were with you, I wanted to speak with them but they weren't picking up their phones," Chiron replied.

The couple looked at each other wondering what he wanted. They hadn't (read : Percy hadn't) gotten into any trouble with any gods recently and they would have been alerted by Rachel immediately if a prophecy had been announced, so what could it be?