Chapter 22 - SWIM MEET

A/N - 

I was literally trying to update this all day my WiFi has just been like no <3 and it's PISSING ME OFF

I know absolutely nothing about swim meets, I just found a really good swim meet oneshot on AO3 and have drawn inspiration from there. The work is called 'swim meet' and it's by aredtricycle, go check it out! I also put a time in there - i don't know if that's a good time or not, i just searched up times and went from a one in the fic i mentioned

Percy and Annabeth met with their friends outside the corridor and quickly made their way to the cafeteria, wanting to beat the mass of younger students before they ate all the good food. They got a few impressed looks from other students in their grade who saw their spar, and eyed each other nervously, wondering if they let too much slip.

"I think that was the funnest sports lesson I've ever had," Charlie mused as they dodged a group of freshmen.

"I know! I gotta say, it's great anger management - I was imagining all my teachers' faces," Karl agreed. "Especially Mr Morrinez, he gave us like two essays due by the end of the week. No, just no,"

"Urgh, Gods, yeah I forgot about that, and writing essays suck," Annabeth groaned. "Good on you, just next time, punch the real thing,"

Ash snorted, "I dunno why you want him to do it, you could probably do it yourself, considering how you beat Percy's ass during the lesson. That was incredible, by the way,"

"Why thank you," Annabeth mocked bowed, smiling. "That was quite a highlight, I've gotta be honest," Percy pouted.

"No, yeah, your guys's fighting was incredible to watch, it was almost like you were dancing," Aaron complimented, "We knew you guys did self-defense, but not how good you were,"

Percy smiled, "Thanks, we learned from the best. He's been training people for cen- years."

"Why did you guys decide to start learning? Other than the fact that it was an option at your mystery camp?" Aliyah asked, pushing the cafeteria doors open.

Annabeth and Percy's faces darkened a fraction, their grip on each other's hands tightened. Annabeth spoke first, "Well, it wasn't an optional thing - you had to know the basics of everything and then you could branch into more specific things,"

"That was the basics? Damn," Their friends had various impressed expressions on their faces. "What are the more specific things that you could do?"

"Well we went into specifics for hand to hand combat, but archery, for example. There were other things too, if you wanted. Like, Percy tried archery and he can't shoot a bow to save his life," Annabeth explained. "One time, he managed to hit someone behind him!"

"Behind him! I didn't even know that was possible!" Karl exclaimed, looking at Percy who was smiling sheepishly. 

"Neither did we, until I did," Percy replied.

"I kinda want to visit this camp! It sounds incredible, what's it called?" Aaron marveled.

Percy and Annabeth's eyes widened in surprise and Annabeth seemed to be struggling for an answer. "Oh, it's uh, it's a camp for people with ADHD and dyslexia." Percy jumped in, "It's like a year-round camp? Like school for people with learning disabilities? I'm not sure how to explain it, but that's it simply,"

Aaron looked disappointed, "Damn, that sucks cause I'd have loved to check it out, but it's okay. Why'd you guys decide to come to a more conventional school then?"

"Well, I wanted to see what coming to a school like this was like - I've been there since I was seven," Annabeth explained, "But otherwise Percy just wanted to be closer to his mom, mostly," She omitted the fact that they had needed to get away from the mythical world for a little while, so they could deal with their trauma.