Chapter 28- Doesn't Anybody Else Read?

The next day, Rebekah drags Ellie and me around town to try and find this white oak tree. Eventually, it led us to Carol Lockwood who was going to meet us at the grill. As we were walking in the grill, my phone rang so I sent them on ahead of me. I answer it, figuring that it must be important if Jenna were up this early. "Hey, what's up?" I ask in concern.

"I just got a call from Sherrif Forbes. She's arrested Alaric for the murders that have been happening in town. Apparently, it was his new girlfriend that turned him in."

"Why would she think it's Ric?" I can't help but wonder. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly his biggest fan, or a fan at all, but he's not exactly smart enough. I may not live at my house anymore but I used to talk to Caroline and according to her, the only prints on the stake were Elena's and I just don't think Ric has the level of intelligence involved to not only murder someone and get away with it, but to also leave no traces.

"I don't know. He got stabbed for God's sake. I had to clean the blood off the stairs." Suddenly, a thought occurs to me. Ric had died that day. Elena had killed him so he could come back with his magic ring that saves him from a supernaturally doled-out death. A ring that had been passed down in my family for a century. The same ring that had driven Jonathan Gilbert insane and Samantha Gilbert to murder others and then herself.

"Oh my, God. It is him. His ring is driving him insane the same way it did to others that wore it and died in the past. I should've seen this sooner. Look, I have to find this White Oak with Bekah and El. Make sure Liz keeps him there and if you hear anything from Elena about that Oak, call me."

"I will. Be safe. I don't trust those Salvatores," she expresses and I grin.

"Neither do I, Auntie J, neither do I." With a quick 'love you' I hang up and walk into the grill to see Bekah glaring at Damon and Stefan. I walk over to the two women in confusion. "Where's Carol?"

"She left," Ellie tells me. "Apparently my family owned the milling logs from when the tree was cut down but if I go home, they might just kill me for befriending the enemy."

"Nice to know I'm officially the enemy," I joke and she frowns.

"I meant Klaus," she teases and I roll my eyes.

"Well if we need their cooperation, why not just annoy them so they tell us what we want."

"Because if we tell them, they'll never give it to us," Rebekah states as if I were dumb and I give her a look.

"Obviously we don't tell them that we want the milling logs, we tell them that Ellie wants to get her stuff and not deal with them. God, I know you're blonde but try to use your head," I snap before turning to the Salvatores to listen in on their conversation.

"But why them? Huh? Brian Walters and Alaric weren't from founding families. I mean, hey, if you're gonna slaughter council members, go A-list. At least in 1912 they killed a Salvatore," Damon states, and I grin.

"Luckily for us, I know exactly how to strike up a conversation," I reveal before walking up behind Stefan and Damon.

"That would be the original Zachariah, right? The one you didn't kill," I jab and Damon narrows his eyes.

"What do you want?" He sneers and I hum.

"A little birdy told me that your drinking buddy got arrested, perhaps I just wanted to see you suffering." Ellie snorts before focusing on her brothers.

"I have some stuff at our house that I want to get and since I can't trust you two idiots to not kill me at that doppelbitch's behest, I'd prefer you not to be there."