Chapter 12- Backstabber

A/N: I just want to preface this chapter with a quick explanation for Bella's outburst in this chapter. Elena isn't some insanely cruel person for the sake of this book. I've tried to show that she does care about Bella, but she's also scared and jealous of her sister. In the show, Elena had a habit of demonizing those that disagree with her, even when they haven't done anything wrong yet and then using then response as proof that she was right in demonizing them.

In the case of Bella, she does love her but I imagine, based on her behavior in the show as well as Bonnie's behavior in the pilot, that before her parents died, all three of them were kind of mean girls in a way and this reflects in her relationship with Bella. You also have to remember that Bella has not only had to put up with this treatment from the three of them, but also a lot of the town for most of her life and that's why she has this outburst. She says some things to Elena that aren't quite true, but that's how Bella feels given the circumstances because she can't read Elena's mind.

Sorry for the super long preface but I don't want people to turn away from the book because they think I'm writing Elena majorly out of character to go with the story. I'm not. Elena isn't some evil villain and as she said last chapter, she doesn't want Bella dead or anything like that, she just feels in competition with her the way that Caroline did with Elena in season one. This jealousy is something you get glimpses of in the show especially after Stefan gets back with Rebekah and that's why I've chosen to write her this way. Enjoy the chapter!

It was the middle of summer when Jenna returned and flipped Belladonna's life upside down. The summer had been a good one up until that point. It seemed like somewhere between being sacrificed and Stefan leaving to save Damon, Elena had decided to be a better sister. Ellie thought it was suspicious from the beginning, but she couldn't bring herself to break Bella's heart. Besides, she never would've suspected what it was that Elena had stolen from her.

The brunettes were sitting at the island laughing, passing time as they waited for Caroline to pick them up by eating something. When the door opened, they thought it was Caroline so they just told her where they were. "We're in the kitchen, Care!" Bella called and turned her head to greet the blonde only to see their strawberry blonde aunt instead. "Jenna!" Bella shouts, standing up to go hug the woman she had been missing the whole summer.

"Hey, Bells."

"How are you? Are you feeling better?"

"Are you back for good?" Elena wonders from behind her sister, hoping that her aunt doesn't remember what had happened at the sacrifice.

"I'm well, and yes, I am back for good. I am shocked to see the two of you not at each other's throats."

"Well, you've missed a lot," Bella chuckles.

"So I see. Where's Ellie. Is that something else I've missed out on? Has someone severed the connection that had you attached at the hip?"

"Ellie is trying to stop Damon from going off the rails after Stefan gave himself to Klaus to save his life."

"Is Katherine still with him?" The older woman wonders, looking at her niece in sympathy while Bella just looks back in confusion.

"No, she was freed after Klaus gave her the cure to give to Damon. Then she ran, apparently too scared to face her betrayal," she growls and it's suddenly Jenna's turn to be confused. Elena tries to prevent the reveal, deciding to speak up.

"We should probably get going, Bella. I can drive us and we can just meet Caroline." Neither party pays her any attention as Bella looks at Jenna expectantly.

"I meant to tell you before I left that Klaus took me to use at the sacrifice but he said that Katherine had pled my case on your behalf so he decided to spare me." She finally looks at her other niece. "I figured that Elena would tell you when I left." The blue-eyed Gilbert feels her reality shatter around her. Suddenly her perfect summer made perfect sense.