Chapter 10- The Tragedy Of Belladonna Gilbert

Klaus should've been happy. The full moon was approaching, Greta was on her way along with his real body, and he had killed the only person with the power to stop him that seemed interested in doing so. Yet all he could think about was the blue-eyed Gilbert. He debated asking Katherine about her, wondering how long she could resist the compulsion, but decided to just make it slightly clear that he isn't interested in hurting her. Yet.

"Why is it that Elena despises her twin sister so much?" He wonders and Katherine, having already been compelled to tell him what she knew from the previous day, answers before she had the chance to comprehend the question.

"They aren't twins, and I think she blames her for their parent's death."

"What do you mean they aren't twins?"

"Bella's adopted. I think that's why Elena blames her. Because Bella lived and her parents didn't. Then again, Elena's also adopted."

"And why exactly did you feel the need to hide her existence along with the other Salvatore from me?"

"I thought you knew about Stefan's twin. She was friends with Elijah. Besides, neither one will get in your way. Elenor hates Elena and she would never risk Bella's life to save her. She'd lock her up before she let her."

"Oh, I have no doubt that the blue-eyed Gilbert won't interfere. I had an interesting encounter with her last night. I dare say that she feels some bit of empathy for my plight."

Katherine bites back a groan. "Of course she does. That girl would show the devil compassion, even if it killed her."

"What was that, Love?"

"I asked what your plan was."

He smirks at her question. "I have some business to handle before I get back to my real self. I'll be back, but until then, don't leave until I say so." With that, he leaves, realizing that he had exhausted Katherine's knowledge on the subject of Belladonna Gilbert. It isn't until he runs into a familiar face while on his way to the grill to see if he could antagonize any of the doppelgänger's friends that he realized there were other sources.

"Hey Mr. S," Darren Hermes greets him with an easy grin that Klaric quickly returns with a smirk.

"Mr. Hermes. What can you tell me about Belladonna Gilbert?" He compels and the teen's eyes gloss over.

"She's the town freak. A walking tragedy. Bad things didn't happen in Mystic Falls until they happened to her. She was kidnapped when she was seven with her best friend. Only she survived. She wasn't the same after. Then, when she was fifteen, her parents died in a car accident driving her and Elena home from a party. Everyone knew it was Elena's fault that they left. She broke up with her boyfriend, it was very loud and dramatic, and then she dragged Bella out. But everyone chalked it up to Bella's tragedy."

"Why?"

"Because she was dead. 20 minutes submerged but the first time the paramedics shocked her, she gasped awake, spitting out the water. I heard that the ambulance ride to the hospital wasn't much better and she was in there for two months. She started to get better when all the weird things started happening in this town."

"What weird things?"

"The animal attacks right before you arrived."

"Is that all?"

"Her aunt is her legal guardian and everyone knows that the two of you are dating but she's been MIA for a few days." Klaric considers the information before nodding.

"You've been very helpful, Mate. Now forget that this conversation ever happened and go about your day." As the teen walks away, Klaric formulates a new plan to get information. Before the day is over, he'll know for sure if Belladonna is a threat or not. He ignores the voice in his head telling him that he's not asking about her powers, he's just getting a history. He refuses to admit his intrigue. After all, caring only made people weak.