The Affair {13}

“So, what time should we come to your house tonight Connor?” Blake asked me the next day as we ate breakfast.

                “You guys are going to Connor’s house?” Tammy asked curiously as she set down a plate of pancakes for us.

                Luka nodded happily. He was sitting in my lap, his hair slightly messy since we had just rolled out of bed. Mine wasn’t much better.

                “Yea! It’s exciting!” he said.

                I ran my hands through his hair, trying to fix it for him. He giggled and kissed me. I smiled and continued to play with his soft hair.

                “You boys haven’t hung out at Connor’s house in a long time,” Tammy said, smiling at us. “Well, I hope you have fun.”

                “So, what time?” Blake asked me.

                “After dinner,” I said. I would need that much time to come up with a reasonable excuse for them to not actually come over.

                “Oh, a sleepover?” Luka asked curiously, cocking his head to the side.

                I shrugged nervously. “Sure,” I said.

                “Awesome. How about we go there at seven?” Blake offered.

                I nodded at him. That would give me plenty of time to come up with some excuse. Maybe I could tell them that when I got home, I found my mother dead on the ceiling of my nursery and then she burst into flames and the house burnt down.

                …I really need to stop watching Supernatural.

                “Connor, aren’t you going to eat?” Luka asked, frowning.

                I shook my head at him. “No, I’m not really hungry,” I mumbled. When I got nervous, it threw my stomach off. And I was nervous as hell right no-

                BOOM. IDEA.

                I would just pretend I had thrown up when I got home. Unoriginal, but oh so effective. And I could play it up a little now.

                “Are you sure?” His frown got even deeper.

                “My stomach’s just a little off right now. I’ll be fine Luka. If I get hungry, I’ll tell you,” I said, offering him a small smile and praying that my stomach wouldn’t give me away.

                “Okay,” he said, kissing me again before beginning to eat. Blake was watching me suspiciously, probably guessing what I was up to.

                I waited until they were done eating. Luka jumped up and put our dishes away before coming over to me and pulling me to my feet.

                “Let’s do something fun!” Luka said, bouncing up and down eagerly.

                “Oh Luka. Connor, don’t let him go bouncing through the ceiling,” Tammy said with a sigh, watching her son as he continued his bouncing.

                I put my hands on Luka’s shoulders, holding him down. He pouted at us. He looked up at me, letting his bottom lip jut out.

                “Baby, please let me bounce,” he whimpered.

                I hesitated before sighing and releasing my grip on his shoulders. Luka let out a happy yell and began to bounce again, grabbing my hands as he did so.