The Affair {20}

“Connor, are you sure about this?” Luka asked in concern, squeezing my hand as I put the car in park.

                “Yea,” I mumbled, glancing at Blake. He was sitting in the backseat, staring at my house silently. He hadn’t spoken a word since we had left his house.

                We got out of the car together and I gripped Luka’s hand tightly. I was terrified to let him go. I was afraid that he would disappear into thin air. That this really was just a dream, and I would wake up from it if I let him go.

                “Connor, we don’t have to do this. We don’t have to go in there,” Luka said as I led them to the front door.

                “No. We do have to go in there Luka. You guys…you need to see. You need to understand what drove me to all of this,” I said quietly.

                I unlocked the front door and led them inside. We took our shoes off and went upstairs. I gulped, seeing my mom and dad sitting on the couch in the living room. My dad was typing on his laptop, and my mom was reading on a book.

                “Hi mom. Hi dad,” I said. I didn’t know if they would act any different now that I had people here with me.

                But they didn’t act any different. They didn’t look up at me. They didn’t have even the slightest trace of recognition in their eyes.

                “Mrs. Brennan? Mr. Brennan?” Luka asked nervously.

                Mom’s expression changed and for a minute, I felt myself getting hopeful. She was going to talk to Luka.

                But instead, she just turned to dad. “Hey Ian, can you Google this word for me please?” she asked, pointing to a word in her book.

                “Sure,” dad said, nodding and continuing to type away at his laptop, mom now watching the screen.

                “Mr. and Mrs. Brennan,” Luka said, squeezing my hand. His eyes were watering. He turned to me. “I don’t understand,” he whispered. “I just don’t understand. You used to be so close. I had never seen parents who loved their son more than they loved you, Connor.”

                “It’s because I’m gay,” I said, quiet but bitter. “And they’re homophobes.” I turned and glared at them, fighting off my loneliness. “They think I’m a horrible person because I’m a boy who’s attracted to boys. But they’re the horrible people. They would do this to their own son just because of his sexuality.”

                I turned and pulled Luka to my bedroom, Blake following us. I shut my bedroom door and we sat on my bed together.

                “Connor…I’m sorry,” Blake said. “Here I was this whole time thinking you were the horrible person, but in reality, it was me. You could’ve told my parents we had sex, but you didn’t.”

                Luka winced and I dropped my head in shame. Luka wrapped his arm around my waist and glanced at Blake.

                “Blake, I’ll never trust you and Connor alone again. I know it’s mean of me, but I don’t want you two hanging out alone anymore,” he said.

                “It’s understandable. It won’t happen,” I promised immediately. I would do anything to keep from ruining the second chance I had been blessed with.