Episode 69: Jumpstarting InterConnection of the Clouds

Evan seated himself at the console at the fore of the server room, lowering into the office chair in front of a glass desk. The slim screen and keyboard seem to be formed from the surface of the desk itself.

Searching the framework of the console configuration, Evan pulled the SD card from his pocket.

He turned the tiny device back and forth in his fingers. Contemplating. If Fred truly was onto something, Evan quite literally held the world in his hands.

Finding the single port to the backup system, Evan inserted the SD boot-up chip into the narrow slot.

Those few seconds seemed to be an eternity before the screen booted to the BIOS.

In relief, a wisp of breath curled from his lips. Evan shivered from the chill of the server room. He drew from his pocket a USB cord. He would need to connect in similar fashion as Hannah had connected to the cage within the Wave7 base. He considered the implications of his next actions.

The USB end of the cord slipped snuggly into the port on the screen. He rotated the clip at the other end of the cord between his fingers. He then slid the clip onto the tip of his finger and reclined into the chair.

"At least this is more comfortable than the communication van," Evan mused at himself. "Time to get on frequency, Lieutenant."

As he leaned back, Evan eyed the flickering lights filling his vision like stars.

"Something's not right." Evan frowned.

He scanned the server room. "I'm too exposed. I need sensory deprivation. I need to cut off all stimulation." Evan looked around the room for some solution to his problem. Nothing inside his self-made prison seemed suitable.

His gaze fell upon a server tower being prepared for installation in the back of the room. Next to the tower sat the packing box on its side, the size of a refrigerator. Inspired, Evan pulled the clip from his finger and rushed to the box on the floor. It was completely full of foam packing peanuts.

He sifted a handful through his fingers. The images from his visions in the temples rose to his mind. The incense, medicinal herbs, comfortable robes and the chanting oms, all deprived of them, him, of bodily sensors.

"Fit for a Pharaoh." He elevated his voice.

Hurriedly, he dragged the box toward the control station. He kicked the rolling chair clear of the desk. The horizontal box fit snug against the side of the desk allowing Evan to swing his leg over the side. As he sank into the sea of foam packing pieces he slid the keyboard onto his lap and reclined into the box.

"Okay. Maybe not exactly Pharaonic."

To Evan's surprise, Linc's voice echoed across the room. "More like MacGyver."

Evan chuckled at his friend's quip. He adjusted into the center of the packing peanuts and rested the keyboard at arm's length.

"Much, much better. I feel it now. Connecting."

He clipped the cord to his fingertip once again and closed his eyes. The first tendrils of the surge stole the light from the room pitching Evan into darkness.

He understood. He wondered if he would be recorded on ethereal history as the man who connected the clouds and restarted the grid; the man who gave mankind truth. The familiarity of the action, once so commonplace, flooded his emotions. Nothing at first, then, as his heart began to sink, as his emotions subsided, the window appeared.

Finally, as his senses fell away his fingers trembled over the keys.

Var func = outer():// EXECUTE CLOUD MERGE

{ END }