Episode 60: Run, Forest, Run

"Hannah?" Evan watched the paper phone turn to ash in his hands. "Shit."

She's fine. You're not. Move.

Evan shook off his concern for Hannah and continued down the hallway.

Library.

The word came to him like a command as Evan stepped in front of a non-descript heavy door.

"More binders? How much did ITower commit to hard copy?" Surprise and confusion filled Evan's voice. "It's the Library."

He entered the room and let the door close behind him. He automatically reached and pulled a particular binder from the shelf. He let it fall flat on a nearby table. "What is this?"

Scanning the documents within the folders Evan noted the similarity to the scrolls of the Alexandria Library in his vision. In this life however, Greek was not a language he was able to pull from his understanding. The images and numbers caught his attention though.

"Pyramids?" He turned the pages. "This looks like Stonehenge. Is that Angkor Wat?"

Evan gathered the binders that caught his attention into a file box and made his way to the exit. Glancing down the hall to be certain he had not been followed, he continued to the maintenance elevator.

A voice sounded in his head he couldn't identify as his, Linc's, or anyone else he could recall. The voice suggested to him it would be wiser to take the stairs. He complied.

He cut through the levels of the parking lot avoiding eye contact with the few passing employees. At his car, he dropped the file box in the passenger seat. He cleared more than five blocks before pulling over to breathe.

"Hannah's not a traitor." Evan sighed. "Crew cut is more trouble than the Feds." He dropped his head against the headrest. "Fred is 'working'." He laughed. "ITower is building pyramids and temples. What the fuck am I supposed to do now?"

In response to his question, the navigation screen on the dashboard blinked to life.

Evan frowned at the device that hadn't worked in months. A list of directions scrolled up the screen as the voice of the navigation assistant announced the first turn.