Episode 49: Getting the Tour for a New Job

As Evan disappeared from the cubicle, the computer screen flickered once again. All other tabs disappeared to reveal Fred's concerned face.

Within the halls of the Akashic Library, Fred turned away from his view of his vacant cubicle. Beside him, Coach looked on. The library was abuzz with guides, streaming data, and flitting entities of various shapes and intensities.

"What will happen now?" Fred turned to Coach, seeing him more clearly than the first time he visited the other side. "Evan? Hannah? How can I help them if he won't see me?"

"He will," Coach assured. "No need to ask about Hannah. We have someone working on that as we speak. All will be as it should be. Data is moving."

Fred nodded in acquiescence as Coach led them to another section of the library.

"I am certain you have questions." Coach lead the way between what appeared to Fred as towering shelves of books, bristling with energy and light. "All will be answered. For now, we have much work to do."

Fred glanced back to where he had peered through to see his former cubicle. It seemed much further away than they had walked.

"Right." He sighed as he realized how permanent this new position was about to be.

He clasped his hands together and turned his attention to Coach. "Show me what to do."

Coach offered a reassuring nod. "We have a coding project I think you may enjoy."

As they rounded yet another hallway within the great data library, Coach waved his hands as if opening a cabinet. A screen of numbers expanded before him and Fred. The numbers were quickly followed by a wall of words. Hundreds of languages, symbols, and images expanded across the air space.

Fred stepped forward, astounded. "It's so fast. And so vast." His eyes raced over the images in a struggle to make sense of it all.

"It should be." Coach fell in beside Fred. "It's the fabric of reality."

"We're going to have to change a few settings to help Evan along." Coach allowed the information to sink in.

"Change?" Fred turned from the plethora of flowing data to quirk a brow at Coach.

"Reality." Coach swept his hands across the field of data.

Suddenly the symbols and numbers surrounded Fred and Coach as they, too, were enveloped as part of the Cloud.