Episode 61: Many Friends to Help

Hannah sighed as she opened her eyes to assess her surroundings. The van contained a surprising array of equipment, though little of it meant anything to her, but the box of supplies were a blessing. She leaned back a moment in one of the high backed swivel chairs mounted to the floor of the van. Insatiable with thirst, Hannah opened a bottle of water and poured it down her parched throat. She hoped the final power surge created while inside meant her signal to Evan had actually gotten through.

"I feel like having only half the skills makes this a bit more difficult." Hannah opened another small water bottle.

She hadn't heard from Penelope, Evan, or anyone else since leaving the depth of the ruins. Glancing out the window she hoped whoever was left at the site didn't know how to find her. Taking in the expanse of desert that surrounded her, Hannah realized she could barely find herself in the vast empty space.

She toggled a few of the switches and dials on the van. "Nothing."

As she pushed back into the seat, a box tumbled from a shelf on the side of the van. Hannah leaned to rummage through the contents and discovered an ancient portable AM/FM radio.

A wry smile spread across her lips. "I haven't seen one of these in a long time."

She turned the device in her hands and fumbled with the telescoping antenna. She rotated the knob on the face of the radio until she heard a click followed by static.

Her mind wandered to stories her grandmother had told about ghost boxes and spirit phones. Hannah settled into the chair and rested the radio on the narrow table.

Locating the tuning dial she scanned through the channels. Slowly at first, then more steadily she sifted through the static.

"Hannah." Her name burst from the speaker.

"Wait." She scanned back through the channels again.

"Hannah. Stop." Clipped messages popped between the waves of static.

She stopped rotating the dial to wait for another response. Nothing. She moved to scan again.

"Wait." A single word in a familiar voice.

"Fred?" Hannah's eyes glittered. "Fred! Thank goodness! Is Evan with you?"

"I certainly hope not." The response crackled through the speakers.

Hannah frowned. "What?" Realization fell upon her shoulders. "Fred. How are you accessing this station?"

"I'm getting better at reaching out from this side of the connection." Fred's laugh echoed in the cabin of the van.

"Fred. Oh, Fred." Tears welled in Hannah's eyes. "What happened?"

"The work I needed to do was a bit more than the flesh suit could handle." Fred was matter of fact as his voice pushed through the speakers. "I can do so much more from this side of the pond."

Hannah wiped the tears from her cheeks. "Of course you can." She sniffed. "Does Evan know?"

"He knows. He took it a bit rough, but I think Linc helped him understand." Fred offered.

"What's it like?" Hannah asked.

"You know, and you'll see it again." Fred laughed again. "But, not too soon. Still a lot for you to do over there."

"Of course." Hannah sighed. "But, I'm in a bit of a fix at the moment."

"Help is on the way." Fred reassured her. "Just trust them."

"Them?" As the question fell from Hannah's lips a knock rattled the van. "Shit." She hissed and slid down to the floor of the vehicle.

"Trust them, Hannah." Fred's voice emitted from the radio on the table.

Her breath caught as another knock struck the side of the van. She slid from under the table and moved for the handle on the rear door.

"Trust." Fred urged.

She gripped the lever and pushed the hatch open.

There, standing in an arch behind the van stood a trio of the monks from the ruins.

"Damn it!" Hannah moved to swing the door closed.

"Wait!" The monk nearest the van caught the door. "Please. Don't zap us."

Hannah released the door but did not move from within the van.

"We meant no harm to come to you." The monk spoke again.

"You locked me in a cage." Hannah crossed her arms.

"To focus your abilities, not to imprison you." He continued.

"So, then you used me as what?" Hannah eyed the other two men.

"The Conduit." The monk replied. "But, it is clear you are not the one they have been waiting for."

Hannah raised a brow at the men.

"We are trying to power the Grid." He explained as the others moved closer to the opening.

Hannah stepped back.

"Please. We want the same as you do." He held his hand out to Hannah.

"Kidnapping is sort of a deal breaker." Hannah continued to back away.

"Wave7 kidnapped you." The monk looked to the others. "And us too in a way."

Hannah stopped to look at the radio. "Well?"

"I told you." Fred responded. "Trust them."

The monks' eyes were wide.

"And explain as much as you can on the way." Fred's voice carried to the front of the van. "You will need them."

The dash navigation panel illuminated behind Hannah. She focused her attention on the waiting monks.

"Fine. But, I'm driving." Hannah claimed the driver's seat and started the vehicle.

She glanced in the rearview mirror to see the monks helping one another into the van. They closed the doors. Hannah saw two exchange a high five.

Hannah grabbed the AM/FM transistor radio as she pulled away. "Evan. Evan. Tune in."