CHAPTER 19

Walking through the tropical forest was almost like drinking a warm cup of water that you expected to be cold.  Branches creaked, our feet crushed the dry leaves with a satisfying crunch, the wind played a familiar tune when blowing at the old trees.

I was still in my dress, sweating, dragging my legs through dry dirt.  A couple seconds ago it seemed colder but now the humidity made it hard to breath, latching onto my lungs.

"If you keep walking so slow it will get too dark and you won't be able to fix your bike." I turned to Rafe who walked behind me, rolling this eyes to the back of his head.

"If you keep talking so much I might as well leave you here alone." He threatened but I only huffed.  It took us a while to get to the bridge.  The evening sky was already changing colors from blue to purple to orange as the nuance of colors faded.  Our plan was to ask someone for help but Rafe decided it was a good idea to rest at the bridge.

"So were just going to sit here this whole time?" I asked as I laid on the old wooden bridge surface, it was starting to get dark but I could still feel the heat coming from the old dry bridge.

"Yeah." He answered, his knees were brought to his chest as he fidgeted with his hands.

"You know you can't be mad at them forever, they love you Rafe-"

"Shut the fuck up Pogue, you talk as if you know everything, tell me, how is this your business?" His aggravated voice was telling me to shut up, but I had some things to say.

"It's not, I-"

"You what? Huh? You think you can tell me all these...these nice little things to make me feel better." His hands moved above his head, rubbing the sides of his skull.  I didn't think he was in such pain until I looked directly at him.  His dark golden hair was messy again, his eyes closing from being exhausted and angry.

"Rafe, i'm here for you." I said quietly not expecting him to hear.  The wind blowing the waves towards us was gentle but cold, I shivered as I scooted closer to him.

"Don't, don't give me that bullshit Estel." He laughed out loud, apparently being nice to him makes him laugh.

I nudged his shoulder, with my elbow, this time he didn't move or laugh, just starred at me.  He licked his lips, tracing his teeth with his tongue.  I leaned against his shoulder, he turned his eyes upwards in annoyance and hesitation, but eventually let me lean against his chest.

"Are you making moves now?" He asked in a low tone, his voice raspy but smooth.

"No I was just cold." I dug myself into him further.

"And you didn't think to bring a jacket." He irritatingly brushed his hair back.

"I was planning to stay at your house then have you drive me back to my house because my bike broke."

He laughed, covering his mouth with his palm, I couldn't help but grin rolling my eyes back. 

His smile soon turned into another serious frown, he drew shapes on my leg with his finger, tapping to the rhythm of his heart.  I felt goosebumps appear from both the cold and his touch. 

The night was peaceful, the moon and the stars the only source of light we had.  The wind calmed down, just the sound of waves and our breathing.

"Where is the gold Estella?" He asked firmly, he sounded like he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"I don't know.  How do you know about it?"I asked, standing up from his reach.  He stood up as well, hovering over my own body.  In the dark he was only a black shadow, only some of his features were seen from the reflection of the moon.  He leaned his head back, walking towards me.