CHAPTER 17

I stepped out of the car, looking up at the hospital as I wrapped my arms around my wet body. My fingers slipped to my side as I debated, feeling both guilt and shame.

If I stepped into the hospital with Rafe, what would the others think?

"Are you going to go or not?" He said, annoyingly, while rolling his eyes from the inside of the car.

"I..." I had no words. I didn't know what I should do.

"I don't have all day Pogue. You either stand here while I drive out, or you quickly run an errand and then come back. If you—" He rubbed his face as I interrupted him.

"I'll be quick." I said, turning in his direction, closing my door as I started walking, nearly tripping on my dress as I had to practically drag myself inside.

The hospital smelled bitter, with a slight undertone of artificial fragrance. My nose itched from the uncomfortable smell of white displayed across walls. I had the urge to turn back and walk away, too embarrassed to see them. Was it because it's my fault?

"Fuck it." I whispered under my breath as I walked to the front desk, requesting to see him.

I walked faster every step, counting down the numbers. I found it at 24.

"John B., Pope." I greeted, nodding my head as I found JJ sitting up in bed, no longer in a coma. I tilted my head to the right, out of breath.

"I thought you"

"I was, was." He chuckled. His eyes were droopy, almost like he wanted to sleep.

"What's he on?" As I sat beside JJ on the bed, I looked over at Pope.

"I'm on some good stuff right now. What can they give me?" He pointed at the Pope, who seemed annoyed at the time. "I swear I've had this shit before."

"Oxycodone, it's an opioid." He put a glass of water on the table, crossing his arms.

"Woooh." JJ said quietly, putting his hands in the air.

"So what happened? Details please."

We went to find the gold, and JJ wandered someplace, and we heard something. We thought it was a joke at first... until we ran over to find him unconscious.

What if he fell or something? What makes you think he was knocked out? "

John B. grasped JJ's jaw gently, turning it to us so we could see. Certain shades of blue, purple, and yellow were painted on his cheeks, tracing up to his head. I let out a breath as I observed it, walking closer to see for myself.

"John B, I know you are in love with me, but hey man, keep your hands to yourself, buddy." JJ laughed uncomfortably as he closed his eyes, probably too tired to continue.

"I have to get going." I clutched my purse, searching for my phone.

"Why so soon?" "Pompey?" he asked, uncrossing his hands as he walked towards me.

"My ride is waiting for me. Update me." I said, turning around, but immediately turning back to hug them both. Don't ever do something so stupid.

"No promises." He smiled, pulling me tighter into a hug.

So I left. Running past the white walls, stepping outside, finally being able to breath fresh air and not antiseptic scents.

I walked slowly to the car, pulling the handle.

"He doesn't know who hit him." I muttered as he started the car. The transaction should be completed by today.

"I never asked." "He said bluntly."