CHAPTER 11

I opened my eyes, it was still dark.

I starred at the ceiling for too long.  The cold morning breeze swept  my room, as I cuddled into the blanket that was tucked over me.

Wasn't I at the party yesterday or was that a dream? I continued to stare at nothing but the darkness behind my eyelids.  I sat up, rubbing my palms across my face.  I looked at the window, gray clouds were painted across the sky, blocking the sun.

I leaned my head back against my headboard, hitting my head a little too hard.  I brought my knees to my chest, I tried to think of what happened yesterday, putting together puzzle pieces in my head.  I remembered some small and frustrating events but no recollection of how I got here.

"Shit." I mumbled, repeating the word louder as I  stood up, belligerently putting on my jean shorts.  I stumbled to my bathroom, when suddenly crumbled pieces of papers fell to my feet.

"Fuck." I said emptying the cash, as it piled under my feet.  I brushed my teeth thoroughly, glad to taste the fresh mint in my mouth  after the bitter taste on my tongue from drinking too much.  I grabbed my shirt from the hanger, putting my messy hair into space buns.  I left the house in a hurry, my heart still racing until I finally took a breath in my car.

  I squinted my eyes, smelling my clothes then around me, the car smelled strangely like masculine cologne.  Did I let a man into my car? I stiffened, uncomfortable at the thought.  I didn't know what to think, I shouldn't have drank so much.  I banged my head gently on the steering wheel, my body felt heavy as my eyes closed involuntarily

Why did I agree to meet Rafe, to go along with his stupid game.  As long as it benefits me, I should be fine.  Or maybe this plan will go downhill, what if he doesn't pay me? What if this is some cruel joke?

I pulled over, starring at the bridge not too far from me.  The tall figure ahead watched me as I got out, shutting my door, watching me falter as I hesitated to step closer.  His hands were in his pocket, he stood tall and confidently. 

I stood in front of him, his wide back was facing me, I observed the indents on the shirt as he turned to face me.  My stomach was still twisting, constantly reminding myself of what happened yesterday.  I still felt his hand on my thigh whenever I looked at him, his exhausted eyes starring into my soul, trying to find my secrets and insecurities.

"You came." He said as he studied the dark marks under my eyes, sensing my prostration.

"Yes I did, surprised?" I said shifting myself further from him, crossing my arms.

"Rough night?" He grinned smugly, repositioning his head to see me facing away.  I looked down at the ground, this was definitely a mistake.

"Let's not talk about it.  I want to know what this is all about." I asked, trying to get a glance of his eyes, but only got the view of the back of his head a he turned around.  The cold air stung my nose, it was still summer, but the weather didn't seem to care. 

"I..I need you for something."

"Be more specific Rafe, I don't have all day." He finally turned to me, starring into my eyes with disgust.

"You need to pretend to date me until my father agrees to something."

"Agrees to what?"

"Fuck Estella, do I have to tell you my whole life story? Just act like a Pogue and don't speak unless spoken to." His messy hair was brushed in front of him as the wind continued to skim our faces, he was desperate but so was I.

"Wow, so you really are desperate.  How do I know this is real and not some cruel joke?"

"You really think I would ask a filthy pogue like you to date me even for a joke?" His lips were pressed together, looking at the savage green water thrash against the bridge.