CHAPTER 9

"John B, wanna shotgun in the name of freedom?" JJ handed him a can of beer but John B only walked past it.  "Grumpy today are we, Estella, you wanna-"

"Not right now JJ, I promise I'll owe you one at the party."

"What party?" He yelled out as I walked into John B's house.  I could hear JJ stumble on the stairs as he got up quickly opening the door. "shit." He mumbled.  I looked at him, my eyebrows raised.

"What party?" He put both his hands on his hip, panting.

"Did you just-" I suppressed a laugh, putting my palm over my mouth.

"No. No I didn't." His lips were pressed together as he bent down whimpering as he put his hand up indicating that he needs a moment.

I sighed. "Yes, a party at figure eight."

"At figure eight?" His back straightened, his face lit up with amusement and curiosity.  "Were you invited?" His eyebrows shot up as he waited for my response, already knowing what it would be.

"No, but it will be totally worth our time."

"That's what I'm talking about baby." He tilted his head, still wincing from the bruise on his abdomen.

"This time don't drink to much, last time you almost shot topper."

"Maybe it's a good thing I almost did, I would have done everyone a favor."  He quirked as I starred him down until he rolled his head back in annoyance.

"Fine." He mumbled in a almost feminine voice.

"Where is Pope?" I asked walking towards the living room, starring at the canvas with beer cans attached to it." I squinted, trying to get a better look.

"He is uh, he is uh helping his dad, the groceries you know."

John B. entered, putting his blue cap on, he started to laugh when he noticed JJ holding onto his hip.

"Did you-"

"Yes." JJ paused, looking at John B. who was on the couch now laughing while holding onto his stomach, his cap falling to the ground.

"Yeah, yeah, keep laughing John B, I just know you fucking slipped at one point."

JJ shook his head, laughing as John B. held onto the couch for support as he stood up still out of breath.  He stood behind me, I felt his breath skim my neck as he moved away.

"You keep disappearing, whats's the matter with you?" He brought in a plastic bag from the outside, I assumed it was groceries. From his confused face I could tell he was curious, maybe even hurt.

"Studying." I shrilled, my face was warm from embarrassment and disappointment, it was probably obvious now that I was lying.

"Okay? You don't study." They crossed their arms, they observed my face while I  I rolled my eyes.  I started walking past them but John B. grasped my hand gently and desperately.  "Est-"

"Do I always have to tell you where I'm going and what I'm doing? Why does it matter so much John B?" My lips curled inwards, my fist tightened into a fist. 

"Because we are your friends, and we care about you." John B said as he stepped closer, his face expression telling me everything I needed to know.  He didn't trust me or believe me anymore.

"Then stop, stop caring for me.  I came here to hang out with you guys but now all you do is accuse me of lying.  I'm leaving." I grabbed the beer on the table and left, not glancing once at them.  John B. tried to grasp my wrist again but hesitated, pulling his arm back to his side..  JJ followed me, his blonde hair was blown back as he moved his hands while talking.