Cavetown

You froze at your spot, a lot of questions running through your head, the corners of your eyes filled with tears. 

Your grandfather stared at you, mouthing the words 'what's wrong?', They were mourning after the sudden death of their daughter that's why they had left. They didn't know how this scary man was raising you. You didn't want to tell them or anyone else. You were criticized the last time you talked to someone about this. 

You pressed your lips against each other and shake your head before running towards your room locking it. Your heart pounding against your chest, your unstable breathing, your limbs shivering.

"No, this can't happen again...not again.."  you cried silently whilst hugging your knees. You heard the chirping of birds outside making you close the curtains shut. 

.................

It was time for the Madrigal and Rodriguez's gathering, turns out they planned to go camping in the mountains for quality time and rest. Camilo begged his prima Mirabel to teach him how to sew and embroider, he wanted to give you something, your first present as his novia. He made you a cute little lace with embedded sunflowers, if there's one thing he loved most about you, it's your hair. That's why a hair accessory was the first thing that came to his mind.

His hands were filled with bandages, he's your clumsy boy. But he didn't mind, all he wanted was to see your smile, it pays off his hard work in an instant. He also bugged Isabela for a bouquet of various types of flowers. His parents enjoyed seeing the sight of their precious child being in love so, they let him be.

He packed a lot of stuff, which include ointments in case you get bit by insects, medication if you get sick, bandages for wounds. He knew that his tía had healing powers, so what was all this stuff for? Well, he wants to be the first one to take care of you, no magic is needed. He wants to see you heal in his care. 

He smiled to himself as he was finished getting ready, he slid a ponytail in his hand. 

"Camilo? Abuela said we have to go." Dolores knocked on her brother's door.

And with that, he went out.

He bumped into his little brother Antonio who was looking for him. 

"Tonio? What's wrong?" he asks wiping droplets of sweat off his little brother's forehead.

"The birds said Y/n is in trouble." he pointed at the flock of birds sitting at the tree near their house. 

His heart drops, he quickly rushed to your home.

Arriving at the Rodriguez's house, the door was opened by a middle-aged man with long-slick black hair who was wearing a white ruana. He had a bad feeling about this man in an instant. 

"If you will keep staring at me and you don't have any business here, leave." the man said in a raspy voice, making his knees stiff. 

"Aye, hijo! That's alma's grandson." y/n's grandmother pushed him away. 

"Buenas tardes señora, Abuela says it's time to go."  Camilo said trying to keep the rush of emotions. 

"Ah, finally! I thought you guys bailed on us. Also, what happened to Y/n? did you two fight?" her question made the teen shoot his gaze directly at the man behind her who was staring deeply into his soul. 

"No, we didn't...Can you tell me where she is Señora?" he asked, shifting his attention back to the old lady.

"Upstairs, in her room. Go get her, we'll go first." she smiles at Camilo and pinches his cheek, after she and the man had left he put his stuff down and ran upstairs immediately. 

The door was locked, he knocked on your door several times, no answer. He started to get worried and began kicking the door. 

A loud bang was heard and the door flew open, his eyes scanned the darkroom. He called for your name, looking around. 'Til he heard a sob. 

He ran towards the direction where he heard your little cries, kneeling down, hugging your figure tightly, and repeatedly mumbled the words "I'm here, you're safe."

A while has passed and you finally calmed down, Camilo volunteered to pack your stuff with Isabela who just came. Isabela gave you a tight hug, although she didn't know what had happened, she knew you needed one. She was your best friend after all.

"You ready to go, hermosa? Can you walk?" Camilo asks and you just nod, gripping on his hand tightly while making your way out of the house, meeting the rest of the families. 

You all began walking.

Camilo didn't ask you why you were crying, instead, he waited for you to collect yourself and open up to him. His curiosity killed him, but he wanted to make sure you're comfortable in talking about it first. He didn't want to rush you. 

"my father.." you whispered softly enough for only him to hear. 

"Amor?" he intertwined your fingers.

"that guy with my Abuela is my father." you took a long breath.

"If that's so." Camilo wrapped his arm around your waist. 

"You're safe with me, mi amor. Safe and sound." he added, planting a soft kiss on your forehead and continuing walking.