thirty nine

(A/N : one more chapter to go)

Jade stacked the books in their original position, clearing them off the table

Jade stacked the books in their original position, clearing them off the table. Dusting and wiping everything off.

Jade was in Adryan's home office, looking around she admired her work. Jade had learned that Adryan hated the maids or anyone in particular touching and moving his things from their original place, So Jade had taken it upon herself to clean his office which had started to collect dust.

Her eyes skim over the contents that lay on top of the desk, her eyes stopping on the photo frame that was placed face down on the desk as if Adryan didn't want to stare at it but also didn't want to discard it off.

Her hands slowly drift towards the photo frame, gently grasping it in her hands, she turns it to face the front.

Her eyes take in the picture before her. She sucks in a sharp breath, staring at the three people on it. Two pairs of ocean-blue eyes and a pair of hazel eyes stared back at her.

The woman in the picture had a familiar pair of ocean blue eyes, she was beautiful with her midnight black her that made her eyes stand out like two glittering gems of blue. Both of her hands were placed on the shoulders of two boys that looked to be about the same age, maybe around seven.

One of them had ocean blue eyes just like the woman, with midnight black hair just like hers, it didn't take a genius to figure out that she was his mother. Meanwhile, the other boy's features were different from the mother and son duo, with hazel green eyes and brown hair with light highlights. They looked happy, both the boys with their arms thrown over each other's shoulders as they grinned at the camera with their lips curved up with genuine happiness and innocence of childhood.

She wasn't stupid, she knew that the boy with the blue eyes was Adryan and the woman was the former Luna of the pack, and Adryan's mother, whom Jade had never met.

Right when she was about to place the photo in its original position, the door to the office clicks open, and Adryan enters but pauses when he sees Jade, next his eyes move towards the photo frame in her hands, and a strange emotion flashes in his eyes but it's gone in a flash that Jade thought she might have imagined it.

"What are you doing here?" He asks as he moves to sit behind his table, she could feel his body heat as he now sat next to where she stood, he turns his head so that he was looking at her now.

"I thought I'd clean your office, it was getting dusty in here," she says, her eyes taking in the now clean office, Adryan nods his head at her words.

There was silence as both of them remained quiet, with Jade lost in her thoughts and Adryan's focus on his alpha duties as he typed away on his laptop while looking at some papers.

"Can I ask you something?" Jade asks, breaking the silence, she unconsciously nibbles on her lips, she had been curious about his family, but there never came an opportunity or better timing for her to ask him about the matter, until now.