chapter thirty nine.

Iris Grace

I can't be bothered with tonight. It's some stupid dance to celebrate the life of a man who built this building. It's ridiculous, the man who built this town hall was an awful person, but nobody's interested in that side of the story unfortunately.

Christina came to see me beforehand, so the two of us arrived there together. We were greeted with champagne and dozens of people's fake smiles and 'nice to meet you's.

Christina had a beautiful navy dress on, it really goes well with her eye colour and she looks stunning. My dress is just a basic lilac one. I thought Iwas pushing the boat out by choosing one with a different neckline and one that had a sort of corset at the waist. It's nowhere near as attractive as Christina's dress though. She looks great.

We arrived a little late, blamed it on our taxi showing up later however we really just tried putting off coming here until we would have no excuse left. Christina hates all the men here who try to brag about their riches and I, well, I just hate having to get dressed up. It takes so long and I don't have the patience for it.

I won't lie though, it is nice to feel pretty for a solid ten minutes.

We walked through into the hall and everyone was there. From people that work in the shops, to businessmen like my dad. There are a lot of people here, a lot of people I really dislike.

"Iris!" Christina jabbed me in the side, shouting my name through a whisper. "Look at Harry and that little girl."

Harry was in a small corner of this hall with Iris, spinning her round in circles and dancing with her. She has a red dress on and a red bow in her hair which is really cute. Harry is also wearing a red tie so they match, and it actually makes my heart swell.

"Oh my god, look at you!" Christina exclaimed, still whispering but yelling at the same time. "You're smiling at him!"

I cleared my throat, reverting back to my poker face as I sipped my champagne, "No I'm not."

"I didn't see you for ten days, ten whole days and suddenly Miss 'I will never fall in love' is all smitten." She scoffed, smiling all proudly to herself. "I'm impressed you know. This is good for you, you seem happy."

I thought about something to say in rebuttal but I couldn't think of anything to stay to her. Instead, I just dropped my boulders with a sigh, looking at her full of self pity, "Christina he made me breakfast this morning."

Christina laughed at me, I don't blame her. She then placed her hand on my shoulder with a pitiful smile on her face and nodded, as if to tell me to get a grip in the nicest way possible. She probably thinks I'm so stupid right now, and she wouldn't entirely wrong.

Harry was awake before me this morning and when I asked him how long he had been awake, he said half an hour, he just didn't want to move in case it woke me up. He went downstairs and made two cups of tea whilst I got changed, and he made me tost, with my jam on it. He fucking cut it into triangles too, as if my heart couldn't melt anymore.

The thing is that if i stayed there half an hour later, his dad would've realised i had been there and that terrifies me. He'd tell my dad, who'd fucking murder me. That's when I realised just how thin the branch we were walking on is.

This is a dangerous game we're playing and my mind is full of conflict. We shouldn't be doing it, we really shouldn't because it complicates everything, and yet at the same time I tell myself it doesn't matter because hopefully I won't even be staying in this town for much longer. Harry and I haven't really spoken about it, I think we avoid it at all costs.

We probably should have that conversation though. Miscommunication only leads to bad things.

Christina wandered off to go and mingle, she's sociable like that so I just stood alone praying my dad wouldn't wander over and force a conversation with George upon me. I did however catch eyes with Harry from across the room, and when I realised nobody was really watching, I made my way over to him and Harper.