chapter eight.

Iris Grace

It's been a slow week.

I've spent as much time as possible at my studio, avoiding my family because my life is so much easier when it's just me living it. I finished a huge piece for a family dining room, and they overpaid me by two hundred and told me to keep it, which was unexpected, but I put it right into my savings so I can get the hell out of here one day.

Tonight I can't really avoid my family though, there's a big event for people under thirty to attend at the town hall. It's some business event, which I obviously tried to get out of, however of course, I have in fact been forced to attend with Thomas. A businessman from New York is coming to give a talk, and then the evening consists of listening to people brag about their riches and drink expensive cocktails.

Last night my dad was ranting about how Harry is going, and Harper too. Apparently it's a waste of alcohol to have him there and that Harper should just go with George instead. It's a shame that Harper is going, it's not exactly going to be a great environment for a six year old girl but their dad has it in his head Harper will be working for Styles and Grace so he's trying to get it into her mind that she needs to start working for it, despite being six years old.

It's a huge shame. She shouldn't be robbed of her childhood because her father is an asshole, but I shouldn't get involved. I can understand why I always hear of Harry and Harper doing fun things together now.,

I put on a green dress, it's new and it's quite flattering. A black coat and black heels went with it, and by the time I was downstairs, Thomas was yelling at me tio say our taxi was here and that we're noir late because of me, despite the fact it's a ten minute drive and we have half an hour until it actually begins.

Thomas has a green tie, and my mum actually complimented me. She said green was a colour that suits me, but my dad said it was horrible. Thomas' tie is nice though, of course there's nothing wrong with the colour when it's on Thomas, just me.

We got there and already I felt ill. It's the last place I want to be and the worst part is that Christina, my only friend, is not even coming. I'm on my own tonight, and I really do plan on leaving early when my brother gets too drunk to remember I exist.

George greeted us upon arrival, and he bought me a drink as an attempt to charm me. I accepted the drink, not the sexist remarks he made about how there should be more women here to learn about how to better themselves. Apparently that's why Harper is here, which is actually awful, because she's a six year old child.

"Hi, I'm Kelsey." Someone said, catching me off guard as she held her hand out for me to shake.

"Iris." I smiled back, shaking her hand

She's gorgeous, and now I'm more insecure than ever. Blonde hair, blue eyes, black dress hugging her figure, maybe I should have put a little more effort in tonight. I could see Thomas in the corner of my eye, obviously thinking the same as me. God bless this poor woman.

"You're Thomas' sister right? You paint pictures?" Kelsey asked me, to which I nodded. "You painted our family portrait in our dining room, it's great.

"Thank you!" I said through a smile, because I don't think I've ever come to an event like this and had someone compliment me and my job, usually people are rude about it so this makes me so happy. "I'm glad you guys like it."

"It's incredible, it's like an actual picture." She says, filling me with more and more serotonin. "I love art, I just wish I could paint or something but you're great. You could be a millionaire one day."

"Oh," I chuckle, shaking my head. "I'm not so sure about that."

"You could!" She exclaims, touching my arm as she let out a little laugh. "Anyway, Thomas isn't seeing anyone, is he?"