chapter twenty eight.

Iris Grace

The more time went on, the more difficult it became to stay in their presence.

With each new drink poured was a new insult thrown my way or Harrys and I couldn't really put up with it anymore. Thankfully it was a reasonable time in the evening for me to excuse myself to get some sleep, however I decided I'd sleep at my studio. I just wanted to get away.

"I'll see you soon," I smiled, saying goodbye to everyone as I stood in the lounge doorway with my coat on my arm.

"I wish," Geroge smirked, causing an outburst of laughter at my expense, which I'd actually just grown immune to.

With an awkward smile, that was it. I headed off, down that familiar cobblestone road to my studio. It wasn't too cold, I didn't even put my jacket on. The breeze was nice actually, got rid of the pinkness on my cheeks from the heat of the lounge back 'home'. Maybe my cheeks were red because I was constantly being made fun of, I'm not sure.

That was one of the worst dinners there has been. I could blink for a little longer than normal and I'd be told off for having an attitude. I'm twenty years old and my parents still treat me like a fourteen year old going through her stage of rebellion. I never even had that phase, yet they treat me like I'm the worst behaved person ever. Again, I'm twenty years old.

I'm twenty years old and still have my parents making decisions about my own love life. George didn't leave me alone, it was dreadful, and it was my dad's fault. He keeps pushing the fact george works for him on me, as if I would ever want anything to do with people like them.

I'm not the brightest, but I do know that legally binding myself to a man of that kind would be the worst thing I could possibly do.

"Iris!" A voice called from behind me, catching me off guard.  I actually got a fright, and therefore turned around in slight panic, only for my eyes to be met with the sight of Harry and Harper speed walking towards me.

"Wait for us!" Harper exclaimed through a little giggle of hers.

My cheeks almost ached with the grin I was wearing. Of course I decided to wait for them, why would I not? I used to love my own company, but recently I've learned that not feeling alone all the time is a whole lot better than feeling lonely 24/7.

By the time they caught up to me, Harper was dragging Harry by the hand as she ran at full speed, Harry just looked out of breath. I laughed at the fact Harry paused to bend over and catch his breath, he only ran a few metres. Harper was laughing too.

Is this what true happiness feels like?

For a second, my mind felt as though it totally left my body, I was on the outside looking in. Harry was crouched over smiling, catching his breath as he  kept looking between Harper and I, both of us laughing.

Is this what family looks like? Real family.

I'm not calling the three of us a family, we're not. Harry and I are...I don't even know, but when I think of family, I think of real smiles and genuine laughs, not whatever my own 'family' have to show for ourselves. So is this what it's like to feel like you matter?

"Right, c'mon." Harry smiled, taking Harpers hand again. "You'll wake up grumpy if you on't go to bed soon."

"I'm not grumpy." Harper protested in defence. "You're grumpy."

"You make me grumpy." Harry sarcastically squinted his eyes at her.

"That's mean." She told him, raising her eyebrows. "It isn't nice to be mean to girls."