chapter four.

Iris Grace

I ran into Harry again this morning, and his little sister. She seemed to be more polite about that than Harry did but it is always the sisters who are more polite, take my family for example. The rest of the day I worked, made a cup of tea, went out for fresh air, and repeated that until I saw the time was nearly five and my mum is cooking dinner for all of us tonight. Even me.

Of course, I was running a little late, because being on time is just not for me, despite the fact my dad will potentially murder me. I saw Harry again, and this time instead of acting like a stranger he held eye contact for more than three seconds as I speed walked by him. He was buying bread and Harper was counting his money for him, it was really sweet.

When she's older, she'll be so grateful for the close relationship she has with Harry. I'd kill to have a good relationship with my older brother, but sometimes it goes past the point of fixing and you begin to realise that no matter what, you never will have a good relationship. It's sad, because sometimes I tell myself 'he's still family' when he'll hurl insults and all this abuse at me, but being family isn't an excuse for that. Societies I just like to convince myself I do mean something to him and my father.

I could see my dad and George standing in the kitchen as I walked up the driveway, and I anxiously swallowed my nerves back before heading inside, not knowing what mood they'll be in tonight. I'm guessing it isn't a great one, it never is. Seeing my dad in a good mood isn't a rare sight, it only ever occurs around alcohol and the good mood is never one that works in my favour either.

Now I really am nervous, and over what? A bunch of men who think they're smart, but actually lack basic level intelligence? Yes, that is exactly what I am nervous about, and that is why I am incredibly ashamed by it.

The second the door shut behind me I heard footsteps pace towards the front door so I took a deep breath as if that would somehow brace me for what is about to happen. I wish I didn't have to overthink scenarios like this, but the second I think this is just going to be a family meal is the second I get my hopes up.

"What time do you call this?" My dad asked me, standing looking at me like he is annoyed and aggressively holding his watch out to glance down at.

I look at my own watch, and then back at my father. "I believe it's 5PM."

"Attitude, Iris. It doesn't suit you." He said, shaking his head as if I'm not an adult woman. "Go up and get changed out of that. George is coming at quarter past."

"What?" I asked, my face dropped completely. "What do you mean George is coming...For dinner?"

"No Iris..." My brother added, stepping out slowly into the hallway with an evil smirk on his face. "You guys are going for dinner."

Here we go again. My dad and Thomas making decisions on my behalf, about my love life, as if I'm still just a little girl. I hate when they do this, but I hate it more when it's George. They want me to be with George so badly because they think I'm so incapable of ever getting myself a comfortable life on my own, so I need to be with George so my income is guaranteed. It's horrible.

George is the only one they're not ashamed to pair me with. Deep down they know he's a twat, but that's why they want me to be with him, because I'm not good enough for anyone else apparently. George is horrible though, he is a horrible man and I refuse to be with him at all.

The only reason they're like this is because of my last relationship, which failed as badly as it did because of my dad. I still have a hard time thinking about that time in my life, it's a constant uphill battle and for my dad to think it's okay and that he can just force me to go out with George is awful. It just proves that the fact I'm his daughter is nothing but a title to him.