chapter thirty six.

Harry Styles

"Can I tell you something?"

"Sure." I nodded, sitting down on one of the rocks in the river next to Harper who was kicking the water around having fun.

Whatever she wanted to say was clearly a secret, she told me to come closer so she could whisper into my ear, wearing a cheeky grin on her face as she did so. "I think you have a crush on Iris."

I pulled back looking at her in shock, my mouth wide open as she giggled away. I gasped like she said something ridiculous and held my hand over my mouth, feeding into how much Harper seems to love a good gossip, even at six years old. She had something else to say so I had to lean in so she could whisper something else.

"You kissed her a lot of times." She giggled at the same time I pulled back with that dramatic look of shock on my face.

Iris is sitting back on the sand with a sketchbook, sketching god knows what with the occasional glance up to flash Harper and I a smile. I like seeing her cheeks flushed when I smile back, I think it's really sweet. Harper also notices when I smile at her and she has that little know it all look on her face, which is funny.

"That's a secret." I told Harper.

"Between me and Iris and you." She nodded, understanding what she could from the situation, which is probably confusing for her considering George also talks about wanting to take Iris out for a fate 24/7, even though Iris does in fact say no just as many times as he asks. "Got it."

"No, just me and you." I smiled, "Iris doesn't know."

Harper looked confused, but I just winked and splashed her with the water, an attempt to get this conversation to move on and take its place in the past, because Harper will end up telling Iris I have a crush on her and maybe she isn't wrong, but I don't want Iris thinking I have to rely on my 6 year old after to get my feelings across.

Harper and I messed about a little more, she tried to teach me to do a handstand on the sand and I accidentally went right over and landed flat on my back, knocking the wind for my lungs. Iris didn't even get up to help, her and Harper were too busy laughing as laid helplessly on the ground wallowing in a pit of embarrassment.

That was enough for me, so I went to sit down next to Iris again. She looked at me in pity, and was still laughing slightly as I took my seat next to her on my towel. It was funny, however I am really embarrassed because I could not have looked more like an idiot if I tried.

"You alright?" She asked me, chuckling a little.

"Physically I'm fine." I said, resting my head in my hands as if to hide from her. I sat back, looking down at her sketchbook. "What'd you draw?"

She showed me her page filled with a pencil sketch of this beach of ours, there were two people there too and I guessed it was Harper and I. It's a beautiful drawing, and the fact she did that in less than twenty minutes baffles me. Iris is so bloody talented and not one member of her shitty family gives her an ounce of recognition for it.

"That's amazing Iris." I said in awe. "Is that..."

"You two." She nodded,

I didn't really know what to say, I often find myself at a loss for words around Iris and it's mainly because I don't want to make myself look like a fool. I  never used to care what she thought of me, but now perhaps I care too much. I don't want her to think poorly of me at all, and I know I should probably have that attitude towards everyone, but for Iris, it's for different reason.

I don't even know what's going on between us. I've never felt more comfortable around somebody in my entire life, I mean now I kiss her without even giving it a second thought. If George or her brother, or our families found out though, it would be world war three and that's what makes things so difficult.