Chapter 16:Flora

The whole day has sadly been awkward

The whole day has sadly been awkward. Once I was alone with Kane, I thought- I'm not sure what I thought. That we would get married? Or have sex? That's ridiculous. Why would I think anything would happen between the two of us when we got alone? Stupid. URG. Just a schoolgirl fantasy.

   I sigh, falling back onto my bed facing the ceiling. I'm sure Kane is right outside my door staring at nothing too. This is dumb. I should go talk to him! He kissed me. I know he likes me.

So with a sudden burst of confidence, I marched over to the door and swung it open. Only to reveal Kane facing the door, his hand up in a fist. Almost like he was about to knock.

"Oh. Uh hi. I was just-" I stuttered over my words. All the energy flowing right out of me.
"I was just coming to get you. You should change. Into a dress or something nice, not too formal but nice." He stated. I stared at him, shocked. Was this his way of telling me my outfit was awful? Rude.
"I'm taking you somewhere" he finished. Oh... I was going to argue about how my parents said not to leave. But I trusted him enough. So I nodded and softly closed the door on him.

I walked over to my closet and flung it open. Okay a non-formal dress let's see... this is overwhelming I concluded after 5 minutes of searching for something. What's the occasion? Is this a date? A gathering? Public, not public, outside, inside. The list goes on.
After driving myself crazy, I just grab one that's a nice color and call it a day. I stripped my clothes, discarding them onto the floor. And pulling on the dress I picked out. Walking over in front of the mirror, I examined myself. It was a tight-fitting dress, but stretchy if I needed to do anything crazy. It stopped a few inches above the knee, with two finger width straps. It was an overall cream color with a layer on top of sheer deep blue and beige paisley print. This would do, I thought to myself. Deciding on a darker blue button up polo that was too big for me to fit over the dress for warmth and my high top converse but in beige to match the dress. When I was done, I tied a cream bow in the back of my hair. Once I was satisfied, I walked back for my door.
Taking a deep breath for some courage, I opened it. And there revealed Kane. Only he had changed. Into beige colored fitted pants rolled a little at the bottom, I smiled when I saw his old black "army" work boots still on. Old habits, I guess. Scanning my eyes up to take in the rest of him, his top was a brown color, the top few buttons undone, so I could see some of his chest, sleeves rolled up. And finally his face. God, he always looked delicious. I could see a cigarette tucked behind his ear and frowned. Stupid habits.
"You look... like an Angel" he whispered to me. Causing an embarrassing blush to creep up my body.
"You look... amazing too" I smiled back.
He took my hand and led us down the stairs. He headed towards the back of the house, which caused confusion to contort my face. Where are we going?