Chapter sixty-four: France

*Three days later*

I laugh and clutch a hand over my stomach. Giovannis eyes glistening in the sun and he smirks and sinks back into his chair. The afternoon sun beams down on me, France has such a beautiful side. The large Victorian houses, the food that I am dying to eat every morning and the beach that's located right in our garden.

"And what did you say?". I chuckle and plump a grape into my mouth, Giovanni has brought up a funny childhood story, a story that lifts up from his dark childhood.

He takes a sip of his orange juice and leans back, taking a look over the ocean.

"I said nothing, I was really disappointed that Alessandro wasn't a girl. I dreamt the night before that my mother will tell us that she expect a daughter". I grin widely, the thought of little Giovanni wanting a baby sister heats my heart.

"Poor little one". His smirk falls into a competitive expression. "Tell me something about you". I raise an eyebrow and fix my face, facing the sun. I close my eyes and breathe in the air of cheese and little sweets.

"Mhm let me think". I hear him shuffling nearer. When I open my eyes, he has his head on his hand and studies me. "What?". I say he looks so disorientated. "Nothing. Go on". I shrug and throw my sundress over my exposed knees. My belly is the size of a little watermelon and it feels uncomfortable to sit for a long time.

"Well this one time Theresia told me I was adopted and that they found me among a tiger mother". He laughs out loudly and I watch him jerking back his head, amused. "She said it so full of confidence and pointed out that my hair is blond with lion waves and that I didn't lookalike her". My smile disappears. Giovannis hand strokes my arm, suddenly it feels more colder than before.

"I guess she was right, I really didn't look like her or my father. My mom told me that her gens were more recessive with me. Turns out she was lying and my father wasn't actually the one I believed in". I sigh and look at my husband.

"Can you believe that? I guess I was happy when I found Sal is my father". He looks confused. "It is somehow a bit comfortable to know that the one who raised me that poorly is not the figure in my life who should love me the most. It's easier to process. My father did so much wrong and even though Sal isn't better than him, at least he didn't raised me like I'm not capable of bearing a child". The saliva in my mouth turned thick and threatening to close up my throat.

I clear my throat and stand up. I hate the way he looks at me, like I am so fragile and vulnerable.

"I want to go in the city". He nods and the tension seems to dissolve. "Let me get the driver". He mentions. I shake my head abruptly. "Let us walk".

"Whatever you want". I wrinkle my nose in disgust. "Don't make me sound like I am some highness". I feel his hand sliding over my waist- wherever it might be under that child- and his breath on my neck. "You're one to me, mi amore". I press my lips together, to suppress a smile.

"Whatever you say". I mock him and he leaves a trail of kisses from my ear to my collar bone. "You know that I cannot wait to have her in my arms". His hand has wandered over my stomach and I notice his breathing going flatter.

I lean my head on his shoulder and clutch his spread hand. "Our little girl". I murmur. We found out on accident actually. after our first ultrasound scan, we received a letter from the hospital informing us about the disease that can appear in the first month of a pregnancy.

I recall Giovannis face when he picked me up and whirled us into a storm of butterflies. We laughed so hard and he cherished me after that privately in a bed full of roses.

***

He takes my hand and we walk down the long street that leads down to the center of the city, everything is yellow, green and dark violet. Our mansion is located around a field of wine grapes next to the beach.

It feels like an imagination that people really live like this.

After fifteen minutes we reach the little market with people selling fruits, vegetables and jewelry, of course wine too.

My feet started hurting and I tried to hide it, I should've known by now that I can't hide anything from Giovanni, he observes someone way too good. "Are you in pain?". I shake my head, isn't it pitiful that an assassin survived the deepest pain and then moans over a little feet or back pain?

"Caroline?". He growls and grabs my wrist to turn to him. "It is not bad, I can still walk". "I'm sure you can". Suddenly he has lifted me up in bridal style and walks up to a restaurant near the city market. People shoot us grinning looks or look up my stomach. A few women hold their hands to their chest and make a dreamy expression, my face flushes and I bury it into the crook of his neck.

He orders a table and brings me down into a chair.

***

His warm fingers brush my collar bone and he lays something cold on my chest. "What is it?". I ask curiously. "Wait, don't turn around". He warns me and I wait until he secured the thing behind my neck. "Now". He says and I turn around, looking into the mirror next to the jewelry table. "What...when did you?". He grins and crosses his arms in front of his chest.

I gape, looking at the golden necklace that holds the initials C, G and E.

"It suits you". My fingers find the letter E and I bend my head down to kiss it. Giovannis lips find mine and then he presses his lips on my chest on my letter and her's.

"What about your letter?". I giggle and ask. He snorts and bites into an apple he gathered around. "I am not that arrogant". "Uh-huh". I mock and then he starts tickeling me, I chase away from him through the people and their tables, screaming out of euphoria, until he has me in his arms again and kisses me like on the first day he laid eyes on me.

***

All you assumptions on the name for the baby girl, please comment. I already have the name but I am dying to know your favorites maybe I change it into some of y'all names;)