Chapter four: Unwanted

Nervously, I chew on my lips. My parents forced me to attend the dinner with the De' Bardi's tonight.

It should be a reconciliation between the most famous mafia families.

I haven't came downstairs yet and I don't plan to. Mother has bought me a new dress to make me—how she's saying—look beautiful for my future husband.

I try to be as calm as I can possibly be, but my legs refuse to claim the stairs down. It just won't happen. My anxiety stress level increases by every passing minute.

The dress that I'm looking at in the mirror, is a figure hugging material. Theresia once said I would look good in red and since then, my mother always convinced me to buy red dresses.

It has thin straps, that not only expose my cleavage, but also give out the best view on my butt.

Like I said, the red dress almost chokes me and I would be happy, if the dessert only fits into my stomach tonight.

A knock on my door appears and then someone storms into my room.

"Why aren't you down yet?". My maid asks. Sweat shines on her forehead and I'm sure she's just as freaked out as I am.

I hear cars approaching our territory. With a huff I get out of my room and follow my maid Andreá.

From the second floor, I can suspect three young looking handsome men. All of them have black hair and are dressed in completely black suits.

One women stands out with her emerald green dress and gives off a very sixty looking vibe.

"I don't want to get down there Andreá". I beg her almost and she widens her eyes at me.

"Miss Caroline, I don't want to earn the anger of Mister Matisse. Please follow me". I sigh. I can never trust anyone here, except for my sister.

One look into the mirror and I step on the stairs. Everyone is gathered around and mutes as I come down.

My dress flows like blood behind me, I smile, it looks like I've got stabbed and now wander around as a bleeding ghost.

Concentrate Caroline!

My blond hair is curled and swirls behind my back.

With long steps—to look the most confident—I smile widely to Mister De' Bardi.

"Good evening Mister De' Bardi, Caroline Matisse". I feel every eye pair on my skin. Prickly friction rolls down my spine.

"Hello, I'm pleased to finally meet my future daughter in law". Theresia smiles proudly and entangles our arms together.

"I guess we can go and eat now?". Our parents try not to show their surprise and follow us through the main hallway up to our dinner room. I love to eat here, you have a great view over the rocky beach.

Andreá places our guests in order at the table and I make sure to stay far away from Giovanni. As I settle in, into my comfy seat, I notice his stare on me. Suddenly the room goes smaller and I can only hear my breathing.
Theresia puts her hand on my thigh and rubs it gently.

"Hey, don't look so anxious". She whispers. I nod and get back into character. If I won't play my role to perfection, father will make sure to punish me afterwards.

As dinner gets served, I let myself have a quick peek and observe the De' Bardi's son's.

Alessandro looks at his food with joy and doesn't even care about the reason why he's here. Since I know that he's about my age, a bit older, he still looks like a child.

But I know better than that. Father once told me, he ripped someone's head off, with only using a baseball racket. I wrinkle my nose at the pictures appearing in my head.

Well, he certainly doesn't care to get his hands dirty, I assume.

Francesco takes a sip from the red wine and I can see the glistening in his eyes. He doesn't talk much, but is a closed book, like his older brother.

Talking about my future husband, Giovanni takes a bite from the steak, that just got served and listens carefully to the conversation, that our fathers are leading.

I swallow down my smashed potatoes and try not to make any sounds with my cutlery.

"I'm glad, Enzo, that our families are reforming into two strong allies throughout Italy". Rocco De' Bardi says and smiles, while glancing at me. I stop my face from changing and stay put together.

"The rivalry has been going on for decades now and I'm pleased to finally agreeing on something so helpful to our families". My father says and I suppress the urge to throw up.

They all act like the snakes that they are. The De' Bardi's and Matisse's are hating each other and this arranged marriage won't change a single thing about that!

My mother, Mariella and Sienna De' Bardi, don't talk to each other, but I guess smiles will do their job.

Theresia starts to chat with Alessandro, who seems to be the most opened and sympathetic one in the whole family, he even dares to laugh out loud.

Everyone has someone to talk to, or at least to look at. But I sit there like a forgotten sheep, that waits to get eaten alive by the lions.

The lion is Giovanni.

Our eyes lock out of a sudden and I can't force myself to look away first. We give each other a stare competition and I study his face.

He has very high and sharp cheekbones, a thin mouth with straight and almost unrealistic white teeth, his black hair is sleeked back and he has boring black eyes. Not to forget a very pointy nose, that looks like it could piers me in an instant.

There is nothing special about him, he's handsome, but that's it, no character, no energy, nothing which pulls me towards him.
He leans back in his chair and I can see him smirking. I narrow my brows together and eye him confused.

Does he think this is an amusing dinner?

Is he that delusional, like everyone else and forgets that we are legit forced to get married, by the end of this week?

I clench my hand around my fork, until I shake.
My knuckles turn white and my red lips are pressed into a lifeless line. He still says nothing and just enjoys the show.

I drop the fork on my plate and the sound catches everyone off guard. The sauce from my steak gets spilled on me and I wake up from my thoughts.

Father glances nervously in my direction, while Theresia lifts up a napkin and dabs the stains away. Mom clears her throat and smiles shyly.

"My daughter is getting very nervous, when so handsome men are among us". Sienna laughs politely and nods. I stop myself from scoffing.

"Excuse me". I say swiftly and get up to leave. My tone leaves nothing to the imagination.