HEARTY CONVERSATIONS

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry." he murmured running a hand through her hair. "I'm sorry."

Hope sighed hearing him apologize. She was bad at comforting people and she didn't know how to deal with others emotions.

"It isn't your fault Rueben. So don't apologize. And I'd go through it all over if it means I get to have this family in my life. Because in the end it was all worth it." she said as she sat up.  

"I wouldn't change all these years for the world Rueben. Sure I've lost many people but in the end it was all worth the loss. It made the time I've spent with them more special. And Benny, this family I've got now was worth all the pain and loss." 

Rueben smiled sadly. He pulled her into a hug.

"I missed you. I missed you so much." he whispered into her hair as he kissed the top of her head.

"I missed you too." she whispered back. She meant it when she said all that pain was worth it but she knew just how much she missed her brothers all these years. And she smiled, a small genuine small in her brother's embrace. 

Two figures stood side by side at the entrance watching the duo.  

"She grew up a lot." she mumbled as tears welled up in her eyes. A set of strong arms coiled around her waist, pulling her back into a warm chest. She relaxed in the man's embrace as the man laid his head on top of hers, watching the brother and sister.

"That she did." the man replied watching his daughter. "I still remember the little four year girl clinging onto my back trying to avoid Zai." His chest rumbled under her as he chuckled.

"We did a god job, huh?" she whispered. 

"You did bloody fantastic." Riven muttered as he walked towards them. 

Meenakshi gave him a small smile in response, snuggling into her husband. The three of them stood in silence watching the duo. 

"Thank you." Riven said breaking the silence. "Thank you for raising her, for being her family and for choosing to love her."

His face was blank but his tone and eyes portrayed how much he meant those words.

"I'll do it all over again." Meenakshi said as she watched them. Riven walked into the room and sat down beside his sister.

"Would you have come back?" Rueben asked after a while. Riven looked at Hope at the question.

Hope pondered over the question. She missed her brothers a lot but going back was never her intention. 

"No." she answered finally. "Our bonds faded years ago and I had no intentions of bringing them back to life. It would have been safer that way."

Rueben sighed. The way she spoke about their safety made him uneasy. It is as if her mere presence is dangerous to them.

"Why safety over family?" he asked. Riven snorted at his question.

"You are born in the Underworld brother. And the first rule to survive is safety over everything, always." she answered him, standing up. "If staying away meant keeping you safe then I'll stay away no matter what. In the circumstances, I chose Lettie over you."  

With that she walked out of the room. Rueben and Riven stared at the door. Their emotions threatened to overwhelm their rational thinking as the events of the last few days came crashing down on them.

"La mamma sarebbe stata così orgogliosa di lei." (Mom would have been so proud of her.) Rueben mumbled turning his gaze onto his twin. Riven nodded in response. He had no doubt that their mom would have been so proud of their sister.