BOTS AND MEMORIES

I face tomorrow with a smile because I have a family to love and support me. ~Aaruhi Faiza

Devon frowned when he heard someone knocking on the door to his bedroom. He sat up trying to get rid of his sleepy haze. Most of the previous night was spent catching up with his grandparents and cousins. It was early morning when everyone has retired to bed and no one bothered with breakfast or lunch. He opened the door. A maid stood there carrying what looked to be shopping bags along with three younger maids. She smiled at him. 

"Your name, Sir?" she inquired politely. 

"Devon." he replied groggily. The maid shuffled through the bags and handed him one.

"Mrs. Chauhan wants all of you assembled in the living room by 5:30 PM, Sir. Showered." the maid told him before bowing a little and turning away. Similar bags were delivered to everyone who were in the Estate for the first time. An hour later everyone in the mansion were waiting in the living room. 

"The puja will begin at 6:00 PM. In the north wing. Albert will take you there. So everyone's here.." Meenakshi trailed off when she didn't spot the pair of silver eyes anywhere. 

"Where's Hope?" she asked. Usually, Hope was the first one to be present when anything traditional takes place. 

"I'll go check." Riven offered before dashing towards the stairs. He reached her room in record time. He stood outside her room for a few seconds trying to catch his breath. Slowly, he twisted the door knob and walked inside. The room was beautiful. Decorated with night theme along with a mural of a beach, it looked peaceful.

"Hope." he called out when he didn't find her in the room. 

"In here." came a muffled reply from the closet. He walked into her closet. It was almost as large as her bedroom. He found her standing in front of a mirror in a sports bra and shorts. His breath caught. He clenched his fists to keep the rising anger at bay. There were whip marks and bullet wound scars covering most of her back. Multiple scars lingered on her arms and legs ranging from bullet holes to burn marks. He felt a shudder of terror pass through him.

"I feel ugly." her voice broke him out of his thoughts. He gave her a surprised look. Even Hope was surprised at her confession. It has been a while since she felt ugly in her own skin. 

"They're beautiful." Riven murmured coming closer to her. She frowned at him.

"They are scars and whip marks, Riven." she reminded him. 

"They're battle scars." he corrected her. "They show how strong you are."

"And you'll always be beautiful, no matter what. You are a Chauhan." he told her. She wasn't a Sinner. She maybe their sister by blood but she will always be a Chauhan by bond and no blood relation can change it. He realised that. She gave him a small but genuine smile.

"And anyone who says otherwise will have to face me." he added playfully. She laughed.

"Always, Riv?" she asked after a while. Her question wasn't just about her appearance anymore. It meant a lot more and Riven knew exactly what she meant.

"Always, Champ." his answer a mere whisper in the closet, yet it rang louder than any other sound. Riven swallowed trying to get his emotions under control.

"I'll wait outside. Get dressed. Everyone is waiting downstairs." he told her as he walked out. Ten minutes later, Hope walked out of her closet, dressed in a white gaghra embroidered with golden threads. It was simple and elegant. 

"You look beautiful, champ." Riven complimented her. All the men in the estate were dressed in similar attires as him. Plain white vest, paired with white pants,shirt and a white cotton towel hanging around their necks.