E I G H T: HEAD ABOVE WATER

Start from the beginning

It took Astra a second to register Klaus's words before she deemed she didn't care enough. "I'm going to call my wife. Wish me luck." She stormed away. Klaus yelled after her, a stroke of good luck then laughed.

He glanced at Rzej, worry flashing in his eyes. "Do you want me to come with you?" He asked again, already knowing Rzej's answer.

"No," Rzej sat back on the bed. "You want to see Elijah don't you?"

Klaus nodded.

"Alright, pack a bag. Let's go. I'll call Rowena to join us."

----

When they arrived in New York through one of Rowena's maelstrom. Klaus wrapped his hands over his stomach when the snowing wind almost blew him off his knees,

"This is why I don't like New York," Rowena started. "It's full of pack rats the size of Rzej's head and it's very fucking cold and expensive."

A chuckle vibrated through Klaus's throat before he snorted at Rowena's words. Rzej bumped her shoulder, pulling her pigtails like a child.

"That was mean. My head isn't big." Rzej pouted, walking ahead of them.

"I'm sure she means well," Klaus defended Rowena. "Your head isn't that big."

"Key word; isn't." Rowena interjected, pointing a finger in the misty air. The fog was beginning to appear, making it almost impossible to see where she was going. The snow made it worse.

"You insult me now. I'll remember that." Rzej glanced at the hotel they would be staying for the weekend.

"I'm sure you will." Rowena walked ahead of him. She led them to the big tall building. Almost as tall as Rzej's titanic form. Its body was coated in purple paint and the front door buzzed open. The glass had to be one of the cleanest she's ever seen.

It was a temptation not to run her hand down the shards sticking out of the glass, galloping low and high. left and right. Though it looked drawn, Rowena could tell they were for decorations. When she brushed her hands against the shards, it was soft as clouds.

"So, what is the plan?" Klaus walked into the building after Rzej pulled Rowena from the door and walked in. He chuckled at the awe in her eyes. She was lost in another fucking world he didn't dare pull her out of. Rowena and her imagination.

"I have no plan." Rzej walked to the receptionist, muttering his name and she handed him three keys.

It didn't take them a minute to enter the elevator. The lobby walls were beautiful with variant designs and comfortable chairs to rest upon. When they reached the third floor and their room, Rzej unlocked the door and walked in. He stopped at the sight of one large queen bed.

"There's only one bed," Rowena jumped on the bed. "I'm not sleeping on the couch." She pushed her shoes off, yawning.

"One bed?" Klaus walked beside Rzej. His eyes skated over the hotel room. Paintings of angels looming over the golden sky on the purple wall.  "I'm sure Rowena w—"

Rowena interrupted, "I'm sure I'll be fine." She winked.

"Well, it's not like we'll be sleeping." Rzej took off his shoes. "I need to find where Carla works. It'll be much easier to access things and how they'll go next."

He placed his cane by the bed before plopping beside Rowena.

"I'm going to sleep," Rowena yawned. "I  thought about asking my sisters for help, but I can't."

Klaus hummed. "Yvaine?"

Rowena nodded.

"She'll not stand against Radomir's original self. And she won't refuse me. So I won't ask her." Rowena opened her eyes. She sat up, watching Rzej play with his fingers. "What are you thinking about, Rzej?"