O N E : KING OF MY HEART

Start from the beginning

Klaus refused the smile biting his face like the whistling wind on a cold morning. "The only dog here is you, my old friend." He winked.

The former high demon sniggered and walked towards Klaus. Her purple silk dress curved around her body, showing every curve and every part of her small waist. The long dress drawled on the glass floors where she watched everyone and everything.

"I found him in the alleyway like the sniveling dog he is." Rzej teased.

His words earned a smack on the back of his head from Klaus. "Astra is the only one allowed to call me a dog. After all, she is my sister-in-law."

"Well, I was your sister-in-law." Something tightened around Astra's chest, taking her breath away. "How is Freya?"

Loud blasting music interrupted their conversation, as Rzej tugged Klaus towards him. "I do not know. I reckon she is fine." Klaus breathed, biting his bottom lips.

"As much as I enjoy this catch-up, I want him all to myself." Rzej placed his hands on Klaus's lower back, leading him forward.

Astra gives a nod, turning her attention back to the club, a dark twisted snarl on her face. If Klaus didn't know her, he would be afraid.

----

A tall dark desk was the first thing Klaus saw when Rzej opened the doors to his office. The hybrid walked in, embracing the sweet fresh smell pondering in. "It's been a while since I've been in this office." Klaus took a sit on the black couch by the glass wall close to Rzej's desk.

Rzej groaned, walking to the bar behind his desk. The large window showed a perfect view of the bustling streets. From people walking, lights twinkling, and cars zooming.

"We argued last time." He poured a glass of bourbon for Klaus, taking the drink to the hybrid.

A hum of resilience shifted through Klaus's throat as he took the drink. "I hope you remember why?'

Rzej's curled lip curled at the memory. He sat beside Klaus, taking a sip of his drink. "I can't say I do. Perhaps you ought to remind me?" He raised his brows, winking at Klaus.

Klaus's cheeks heated. The air left his lungs and he forgot how to speak. "Hmm." He smiled. "Perhaps, you ought to remind me."

Rzej wasted no time in kissing the nape of Klaus's neck. "Should I take this somewhere more private?" He draped his large hands over Klaus's neck, pulling him with profound strength.

Low whimper clogged in the hybrid's throat, as he tried to withstand the effect Rzej often had on him. Sucking in a breath, he bit his lips. "Maybe we should."

When he woke up the following morning, Klaus turned to face an empty bed and frowned. Trailing out of the bed, he reached to pick up his clothes scattered on the golden fur rug.

"You're awake," Rzej stepped into his massive bedroom with a tray of English breakfast. "I. . . ." Quickly, he set the tray on the nearest chair, rushing to stop Klaus by pulling his adonis belt. "I made us breakfast."

"This was a mistake," Klaus whispered through shaky breath. He placed every layer of clothes on, avoiding eye contact with Rzej. "I can't pretend."

Cold lips pecked his neck, shifting him to the bed. "It wasn't. You're still the king of my heart. You always will be." Rzej whispered against Klaus's neck, breathing in the scent of his mate. "Please."

Klaus glanced at the tray of his favorite breakfast making his stomach tumble. "You make this hard." He whispered.

"Please." Rzej didn't stop kissing down his neck. Every so often he unbuttoned Klaus's shirt. "Stay, meet the family."

Crippling silence ate between them, taking away every thought. Every sense, even the act of breathing. Klaus shivered as the rain began pouring from the cloudy sky. The sun shied away, hiding behind the gray darkening clouds. "Okay," He tore his gaze to Rzej, holding his face, and kissed him. "I'll meet the family." He gave a smile that didn't reach his blue-green eyes.

----

William Morgenstern sat in the dining lounge, eating a full English breakfast. Klaus doubted Rzej made it. "Hello, William." He called the young boy munching on fried eggs.

William turned to Klaus and his father before tumbling out of his chair towards the hybrid. "You came back."

A breath released the tension wearing Rzej in his heart. "He's eleven now." Rzej placed the tray of breakfast on the table, pulling out a chair for Klaus without moving a muscle.

He nodded at Klaus to sit.

"I'm old enough to join The Dark Universe for training." William smiled sitting back down.

Klaus sat beside Rzej, a smile wearing his face. "I hope you stay safe. I hear it's dangerous there." He took the mug of blood handed to him by Rzej, taking small sips.

"William has been excited since day one." Rzej sipped from his mug of iced caramel mocha. "I can't stop him." His rose-gold eyes darkened.

The wind blowing into the dining lounge from the open window had Klaus shiver. Not from the rough contact with his skin, but from Rzej caressing his thighs. Glancing at the seraph with wide eyes, Klaus pushed Rzej's hands from his thighs, shaking his head.

"I have training with Mother," William sipped his tea kissing Klaus's cheeks.

"Have fun." Klaus and Rzej spoke in unison.

----

Blue, purple, yellow, and green swarm in various shapes and forms. The beauty of Rzejs private garden, as though Mother Nature threw up various colours. "It's beautiful here." Klaus whispered, stretching his hands to a purple, and black striped butterfly. It landed on his palms, beating its wings like his heart around Rzej before fluttering away.

"I love it here. It's peaceful." Rzej pulled Klaus on his lap when he sat on a bench by the bonsai pond. Golden fish swim in a circle of the bonsai tree planted in the center. While Another fish devoured the branch of the tree.

Klaus nodded, looking at Rzej. "I still stand by my words," He whispered. "I have to go." A thought. One single thought flashed through his mind, reminding him of why he broke his vow with Rzej. "I don't think you've changed. I don't think you're good for me."

The feeling- even the thought of Klaus leaving him was a bomb exploding in his heart. A universe that came to the brink of existence. Inside a metal box where he stored all the demons in his heart. Rzej opened it again, siphoning everything to shatter the ache that beat and beat his heart.

"You're breaking my heart." Rzej shifted Klaus from his lap. "And you're a hypocrite." He spat, baring his teeth at Klaus. "I don't need you. I never needed you."

Tears almost blinded Klaus's eyes. Then he nodded, smiling to hide whatever burned his soul to the core. "I know. You have the habit of treating me as such."

He walked away from Rzej, tears once again crawling down his cheeks. Klaus stopped, without turning to watch Rzej fall to his knees. "I don't know what happened to you. But, you're not the man I fell in love with." He left at that.

Thunder clapped the bright sky. Burning rain followed, destroying the beautiful, sweet-smelling flowers in the garden. Melting them to its very core. Nothing tore him apart more than Rzej's scream.

Forgive me.

-

I hope you enjoyed reading chapter one.