"entirely coincidental"

Start from the beginning

"I feel like I have so much to learn," Emma said as she shook her head in disbelief. "You and Danny make me unbelievably happy. You're so sweet together."

"Why thank you," Jenna said with a wide grin on her smile.

Not to say that Jenna was normally some kind of Debbie Downer, or unpleasant person, but this was the happiest I had seen her in a while. She had yet to be sarcastic or blunt for a single second—it was a record. I supposed it could be that she had just fully warmed up to Emma, but it was nice either way. It made me laugh to think about Emma and Jenna initially sharing tension.

"It's your turn, Madalyn," Jenna decided, gently patting Madalyn's arm.

"This week's been pretty underwhelming for me," Madalyn admitted as she shrugged her shoulders. "I studied for an ungodly amount of time on Thursday night, but it'll pay off. I have a huge research paper due next Friday, so this week will be interesting. Howie's been so funny this week," she started with a laugh, which piqued my interest. "He's just been extra lovey and he's been especially glad to share a place this week. It's like he's realizing we're living together all over again, as if it's the first week. Moving in scared me at first, which you all know, but... I couldn't be happier. It's so fun to come home to him, and it's so nice to see him get so happy when he gets to come home to me." I felt a pang of jealously hit my chest as Madalyn spoke; I was so happy for her and Howie, but I also couldn't help but think that's all I wanted. I wanted to come home to Luke everyday, and I wanted him to want to come home to me everyday.

"If you're lucky, that excitement will always find its way back to you. Even now, Danny and I will suddenly get all giddy about living together," Jenna chipped in, causing a smile to grow on my face, yet sadness was laced within it.

"I hope that's the case for us," Madalyn said with a smile. "I think we've got a pretty good shot."

"I'd have to agree," Emma said with a nod, a bright smile on her face as well. "My week's been quite lonely, if I'm honest. So hearing good things from you guys makes it better. Sometimes my apartment feels like it grows in size when I'm feeling particularly alone." I let out a huff as Emma's words hit me; it was all too relatable. She glanced at me and offered me a sad sort of smile. "I've had a fine week, honestly, but going home has been my least favorite part of my days all week."

"Are things okay with Ashton?" Madalyn asked, sounding nervous.

"Yeah, of course..." Emma said with a nod. "It's just the stuff with Pat—things have just been a little strained since, but it's not something I'm worried about? Like, there's no real issue other than I'm upset that we weren't able to talk about things in person. I just wish I could see him, in real time, so I could make sure things were okay. And it's not that I think things aren't okay... I guess I don't know how to explain it."

"No, I get it," Madalyn promised. "It's hard to feel totally reassured when you're not sure how things feel. And it's hard to know how things feel if you're not with that person."

"Exactly!"

"Have you guys been talking on the phone?" Jenna asked.

"Yeah, we have," Emma answered. "And things are fine. There isn't any tension anymore, so I know things are fine, but I guess the whole thing just shook me well enough to make me really crave his presence. It sounds stupid, but I'd just like him to kiss me on the forehead and promise me there isn't any weird feelings between us."

"It's unfair that he isn't able to do that," Jenna concluded, sounding annoyed with the universe that Emma couldn't have what she desired. "Not unfair in the sense that he's at fault, of course—I just wish things were different."