xliv. me and your ghost

CHAPTER FORTY THREE: ME AND YOUR GHOST

( episode four: homecoming )

✲*'。

Harlow Kim was already sick of John Booker Routledge.

Here's some context; ever since they had escaped the Bahamas, the fool had been sneaking glances at her inconspicuously. At first Harlow had thought she wasn't wanted, an outlier to the duo who had been on the run before it abruptly hit her.

Harlow reminded John B of her sister, of his life at home. When she was younger, Harlow had always abhorred her resemblance to her younger sister. It had been a stark reminder of the life she could have lived; her fathers proud daughter, the light of his life, not the burdensome shadow he only acknowledged when his wife was far from reach.

Then Harlow had seen the misery as plain as day on her sisters face, the metaphorical shackles chained to her wrists. Arden Kim wasn't living the golden life. She was living in a bleak, pitiful home under the strict observations of her mother.

Harlow Kim had always been the luckier Kim. That was something she had to always remember.

Harlow Kim reminded John B of his old life, the days were the only care he had was if he'd hang around with his friends, the pogues. Harlow reminded John B of the life he lost, all because of Ward Cameron.

He had missed out on so much; the birth of the newest little pogue, a new of year of slacking off at school and the one that hurt the most?

His family. John B had lost his remaining family all because of Ward Cameron, something he wasn't too keen to forget any time soon.

Harlow Kim was interrupted from her musing the moment she heard the heavy weight of the anchor settle into the crackling sand. Moving forward, she hopped over the side of the boat with ease, dropping her bag onto the ground before moving forward to help John B with Sarah.

"Okay ready?" John B murmured, wrapping one arm around Sarah's shoulders.

"Yeah," Sarah grimaced, wrapping her arms around both Harlow and John B as they gently eased her to the ground.

"Try not to get shot this time babe, my clothes can only take so much blood stains." Harlow stated, glaring down at the site of the crimson stains on her denim shorts and white crop top.

From the corner of her eye, Harlow Kim could perfectly make out John B's pained grunt. Oh right. That's another she was too alike to her sister. Their exceptional bluntness to make the mood less tense.