xxviii. give me some peace

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: GIVE ME SOME PEACE

( episode nine: the belltower )

✲*'。

"Pope, you clocked that car, man," JJ wheezed to himself as they cruised down the road, no police officers or other cars in sight. After John B had run for it, the group were left on high alert, but only Kie and Haven were taking it seriously. Even Arden had calmed down considerably, just vibing in the backseat beside Kie and JJ. She'd forced herself between them once she was sure the police had lost their trail, leaving Pope to take over the wheel again. In her defence, she'd just learnt her mother killed her father, said mother was also about to kill her. Arden believed she could just relax for a few god damn moments.

The one thing that Arden would have liked was that JJ stopped smoking. Her rolled down window could only do so much.  "Like, that was so bad." 

"I'm just glad I'm not driving right now," Pope shrugged as JJ's laughs grew louder. Yeah okay, maybe it was time someone else took over. 

Fortunately, Kie had reached her wit's end. She shot JJ a frustrated glare before turning her attention to Pope, tapping his shoulder repeatedly until he let out a sigh and looked over at her, not even bothering to slow the car down as it veered between the white lines. 

"What?"

"Pull over!"

Pope heaved another sigh, this one more annoyed than the last, and pushed down hard on the brakes. Haven spluttered in surprise as Kie scrambled across Arden's lap and out the door. A moment later, she was situating herself behind the wheel and Pope was pouting as he dropped down next to a now grinning Arden. Her high boy was back, maybe he could distract her?

"JJ, it's not funny, he shouldn't be driving," Kie snapped as the blonde boy continued to chuckle to himself.

"Mama's mad," he murmured, before quickly raising his hands in surrender as both Kie and Haven wheeled around to glare at him. 

"Let's just go, Kie," Haven grumbled, gesturing for her to start up the car again. As they took off at a normal speed, Haven stared back them, the disappointment clear on her face. "Jesus. I think I'm getting high just from the second-hand smoke. Arden, your rolled-down window isn't doing shit."

Arden frowned at her, huffing, "Well, at least I tried."

"You did, baby," JJ assured her, leaning over Pope to pat her thigh much to Haven's frustration. Arden saw the girl rolling her eyes as turned back around.

"You know what's weird?" Pope questioned, still riding the high from the god damn weed JJ gave him. 

"What Pope?" Haven sighed tiredly.