FORTY-SEVEN || The Flames of Pasts Long Ago

AERIAL WALKED AROUND THE PLACE OF KENYA, MOMBASA. She had gotten directions here that Zuri Agrinya was here somewhere. She took in the beautiful scenery of the houses and the monuments that reflected the culture.

Aerial saw people walking around, some with their kids. A lot of them were dressed in either casual or traditional wear, which made Aerial smile. Her golden hues rested on a young woman wearing a colorful African maxi, wearing a Swahili necklace.  She walked over and shook hands with the woman, smiling.

"Samahani, unajua Zuri yuko wapi?" Aerial immediately switched to Swahili to ask where Zuri was. "Nahitaji kumpa hii."

The woman's brown hues looked down at the paper and seemed to understand. "Agrinya? Yuko chini na baadhi ya watoto." she gestured to a space a short ways away from them.

Aerial looked over and smiled. "Asante." The two parted and Aerial walked over to a woman with curly white hair. 

She had the same dark skin and markings like Aerial did, wearing a similar Maxi to the woman Aerial just talked to. Hers was purple and gold and she wore traditional Swahili earrings.

One of the kids saw Aerial and the woman followed where his attention was. "Oh, Aerial!" her expression softened. "It's been a long time."

"It definitely has, Mama." Aerial smiled warmly upon seeing her mother. 

Zuri copied the smile and looked at the kids, saying that reading time was over. They said their goodbyes to her and went off back home. Zuri and Aerial found a place to sit.

"Umekuwaje?" her mother asked how she was.

"Ninaendelea vizuri." Aerial smiled and looked down at the letter in her hands. They (Aerial) had been clutching it slightly without realizing it. "I wanted to give this to you in person. I think I told  you about our letter process thing being down, right?"

"You did." Zuri nodded and took it in her hands. She didn't open it right away, looking back at her daughter. "Are you sure you're alright?"

Aerial soughed. Zuri knew her daughter well and often did ask about her health at times when they wrote letters to each other, and when she visited here in the past. She and Tumelo also did it as well, but of course, they did that out of the love they had for Aerial. Zuri knew the stuff with Tumelo was a big turmoil on Aerial, as well as for her herself, since Zuri missed her wife very much.

Aerial didn't answer, folding her hands together in her lap. "I'm not, actually. I am just trying to get through what's happening right now. Being the first mythical and having a leader-like role to the others is a lot, but...I know it'll pay off when this war comes along. We've come so far already and I'll be happy for us to finally save Mum and the others, but..."

Aerial felt tears start running down her hues and she looked down for a moment. Zuri helped lift her head back up and wiped away her daughter's tears.

"It's alright to feel this way. You took up the role long ago and have really helped out, more than you realize. I'm sure you will do so even more. I'm proud of you, jua."

Aerial felt touched at hearing the nickname of hers again. "T-Thank you, Mama...that made me feel a lot better. It's just...I always try to keep my head up but it's hard, you know?"

Zuri nodded and opened the letter, seeing the contents.

Dear Mama,

I wanted to let you know that this war might go on for a long  time. We don't know yet. But if we do make it through this, then hopefully things will get better. If they don't, then...what else can I say?