TWENTY-SEVEN || Labyrinths of Complications

THE SEVEN OF THEM FELL STRAIGHT DOWN, MEETING WITH A FLOOR OF ICE THAT CRACKED A BIT UPON IMPACT. Fira, out of reaction, set a hand on  it to melt the rest away.

"Ow, shit...that hurt!" Aoi grumbled, helping the others up. He furrowed a brow as he looked around. "Wait, where are we?"

The group looked confused until they soaked in the new atmosphere. They were no longer in the castle but in what appeared to be a field with snow. The only thing standing out from it was what appeared to be a hedge at the moment, but once they saw the gaps, they knew what it was.

It was a maze. Did that demon, Habentis, send them somewhere outside of the castle?

"Okay, this just got really weird." Fira commented, seeing that the snow wasn't even falling down from the sky. She squinted suspiciously. "What the hell's going on here?!"

Kairi rubbed her back before seeing the maze. "Wait a moment." she walked over to it, touching the entrance. When she did, part of it became ice before going back to normal. "I think I know why this is here. This reflects Miki's love for puzzles."

"That's right!" Fira snapped her fingers in realization. "Wouldn't Miki create a maze with her ice powers? We used to do that a lot as kids."

"Mhm. So..." Kairi looked back at it. "Whatever this demon is doing is so powerful that it created this place here. Demons don't usually wield powers unless it's given to them, by force or traditionally."

"Traditionally?" Leiko tilted her head in confusion.

"Meaning that they learn it by the book. Entities didn't have powers to begin with and learned from books. After Kaori's fall, more of them began getting them when they were born. Other species wanting to learn powers learned the traditional way, but..." she soughed, turning back to them. "But demons didn't, wanting to use powers entities already had for themselves or others."

"Could that be the reason behind this whole thing?" Sakari twirled their hand to indicate the Legendary incident stuff.

Kairi's expression softened as she shrugged. "I really don't know. But, let's go ahead and get through this maze."

The maze seemed fairly easy to get through, taking the group around ten minutes to get through. However, when they got to the end, the maze seemingly disappeared.

"D-Does that mean we did it right?" Jun wondered, concern in her voice. A gasp was followed by her when a loud thud was heard, followed by several more.

The group whipped around to see that a new maze had formed and was bigger. It was circular in shape and Aerial flew up into the air to get a better look.

"Damn. That's a labyrinth!"

"A labyrin-what?" Aoi didn't follow.

"It's a big maze with a lot of confusing paths. Most of them have a dead end and it's hard to get to the center." Aerial flew back down, closing their wings. "It'll take us a while to get through there."

Sakari tapped their chin, thinking about how to go through with this. An idea formed and they snapped her fingers. "I think I have an idea. Why don't we each go in there?"

"That sounds like a good idea, but how?" Jun wondered, confused.

"Well..." the brunette took a moment and looked at the entities. "Aerial, are you able to make weapons like Jun and Leiko have?" as she said that, the two said humans got out their weapons from earlier. Jun's spear and Leiko's hand glove. Sakari got out the sword.

"Yes, I am." Aerial voiced. "Why do you ask?"

"We would need checkpoints in order to figure out which places of this labyrinth have dead ends. Are you able to make flag poles that the others can use?"