Chapter 52: On the run

You and Juniper escape Hogwarts, and you guys have to crack out a plan.

~~~

You and Juniper sprinted to the Quidditch field. Juniper didn't play Quidditch, but she still had a broom. Arlie had bought it for her the first year that your grade could have brooms on school grounds, and he'd done it so they could take broom rides together, much like you and Draco had done on more than one occasion.

You could tell that's what Juniper was thinking about as the two of you boarded your brooms, backpacks on your backs and wands in your boots.

"Don't think about it, June," you said gently as the two of you kicked off the ground. "We'll be back before you know it."

The red-headed Slytherin girl wiped her eyes with her sleeve, nodded at you once, and you took to the skies.

It was bitterly cold—you were glad you had bundled up. November was not an ideal month to be running away from a murderous Dark Lord.

You didn't know where you were headed, but Juniper seemed to have an idea. You struggled to stay on her tail as she zipped through the clouds—over forests, around lakes, through the air as she sun began its descent—even though you'd only been in the sky for a couple of hours at most.

Finally, Juniper took a dive towards the ground, and you followed closely behind. You could already feel the windburn on your face, and you were looking forward to putting healing potion on it.

Your fiery-haired roommate landed firmly on the porch of a nice house, one you could tell just by looking in the windows that it was empty. You could see furniture, but no people.

"Where are we?" you asked as Juniper tapped her wand twice on the doorknob before turning it and walking right in.

"It's my grandparents' old home," Juniper explained, flicking her wand to lower the blinds and relock windows and doors. "My dad was an only child, and then I was my dad's only kid, so they left me the house when they passed. It's not much, but at least we won't have to camp outside in the middle of November."

You set your bag down on the hardwood floor of the foyer. Walking farther into the house, you fought back tears as you watched Juniper running around, casting different spells to clean up the place a bit more.

In another lifetime, you supposed, you and your friend group could've spent time out here over summer breaks. Maybe with Draco, even.

But instead, you were at war. And you, specifically, were in hiding to keep yourself alive (as well as two-thirds of the Malfoy family).

Juniper charmed your bag just then, shaking you out of your thoughts. You watched it float down the hall and into a room. Following the levitating backpack, you found yourself in a small but cozy-looking room. The walls were a soft yellow, and the double bed had a nicely-paired blue quilt spread across it.

"Do all the rooms have a double bed?" you asked Juniper upon your return to the living room.

"No," she said plainly. "Just yours."

"Why'd I get the only double bed?" you asked then, although you were fairly sure you already knew the answer.

"Malfoy will find you sooner or later," Juniper replied, confirming your suspicions behind her reasoning for giving you the biggest bed. "He'll need a place to sleep, too."

You sighed heavily. The thought of Draco hurt at this point, but you couldn't talk about it. You didn't know when or if you'd ever see him again, and that was enough to bring you to your knees.

"Fuck, y/n, I still can't believe you're actually alive," Juniper said then, bringing you back to reality.

"Do Marin and Silver know about it?" you asked.