Chapter 16: Breakups & Green robes

Start from the beginning

"Y/N, this isn't working."

You halted, looking back up at him. "I—what?"

"Whatever this is between you and me. I can't do it. I thought I could handle Draco being a dick about me being with you, but I also thought it would be a much more occasional thing. Draco's around when we're together the entire time, and I'm fed up with it. You keep saying that you're telling him off, but either you aren't actually doing that, or he just isn't listening. I'd like a girlfriend that doesn't come with a jealous stalker who hits me when I talk back."

You bristled. "Juniper told me you hit him first."

"I did," Cedric admitted. "But it was only after all the awful things he'd said about me being with you. How you would always run to him and all that."

"Cedric, I—" you started, feeling your eyes fill with tears.

"Y/N, I'm sorry. You're a lovely girl. I just don't want to be with someone who's clearly attached to someone else."

"I'm not attached to him!" you begged, reaching out for Cedric's hand. He pulled away, shaking his head as he stood up from the table.

"You can keep telling yourself that," he said with a shrug. But the way you two look at each other is not the way people who hate each other look at each other."

With his words ringing in your head, he left the library.

You sat there for a few more moments, shocked into silence as the tears slid down your cheeks. You didn't even know how to react.

At least you knew why he'd never come to see you in the infirmary.

You walked slowly back to the Common Room, somewhat surprised at how upset the whole situation had made you.

But then again, you had really been excited to have someone who was genuinely interested in you. Not someone like Emerson, who, looking back, had really only wanted an easy fuck. And certainly not someone like Theodore, who had been so horrendously cruel throughout the entirety of your relationship.

You were so wrapped up in your own self-pity when you walked back into the Common Room that you didn't even notice Draco sitting on the couch watching the fire.

He noticed you, though.

Jumping off the couch, he ran up to you, causing you to flinch at the sudden movements.

"Are you crying?" he asked tentatively.

You shrugged, not wanting to tell the truth, but knowing you looked bad enough that Draco wouldn't buy it for even a second.

"Y/N, what happened?"

You looked up at him, confused at how soft he was acting. You'd never seen him so timid, like he was afraid you'd break if he spoke too loudly.

"Nothing, Draco, leave it alone."

"It's obviously not nothing," he pressed, putting a hand under your chin to force you to look up at him. "You're crying."

You stepped back, taking his hand off of your face. "Cedric broke up with me."

You moved to step around Draco, but he moved with you, continuing to block your path.

"What? Why?"

You shot him a look that you hoped was angrier than you were able to feel.

"Because he said he didn't want a girlfriend that came with a jealous stalker who hits him when he talks back."

Draco stepped back, his arms falling down to his sides. "I—I'm sorry," he said quietly, seemingly unable to say anything else.

You shrugged. "I guess you and I come as a package deal, whether I like it or not," you said simply, moving to step around him again.